Splunk has announced the release of Splunk Enterprise 5, introducing improvements to the company's big data collection and analytics software.
What is Splunk?
Splunk creates software for real-time operational intelligence. Splunk 5 collects and indexes an enterprise's data to generate complex reports quickly, from data gathered across applications, websites, servers, networks and mobile devices.
Technology needs to provide answers as quickly as users think of questions, regardless of the speed, complexity and scale of the underlying data [and] users need to be able to use their data in ways that help to achieve operational intelligence,” says Guido Schroeder, senior vice president of products, Splunk. “We need to put that technology in the hands of developers and IT professionals so they can innovate and drive new ideas. It is for these reasons and more that we created Splunk Enterprise 5.”
What are the Improvements?
Enterprise 5 aims to improve security controls in its data collection and analytics product and make it more intuitive for end users.
Other updates include:
- Through report acceleration technology, the product claims to create reports up to 1000 times faster. Summaries are indexed so they can be easily found again or searched.
- Dashboards are easier and more useful. With dynamic drill downs, users can create a custom “drill down behaviour.” When they click on another dashboard or website, they can leave that site with relevant material needed for their work.
- Enterprise 5 integrates PDF file creation, which allows users to send reports and dashboards to a variety of platforms: Linux, Unix, Windows and Mac. PDF’s can be shared when needed, or follow a schedule.
- Through Splunk’s Index Replication service, the data that is collected, even during an outage, is automatically indexed and copied multiple times to ensure that data isn't lost.
- Users of Splunk Hadoop Connect incorporate the two systems together as data can be sent to Hadoop Connect or data from Hadoop can be sent to Enterprise 5.
The Availability of Splunk Enterprise 5
Splunk Enterprise 5 is available as a free download for those who have a Splunk Enterprise license.
If you’re unsure if you’d like to continue with the product, you can either get a free trial for 60 days that allows indexing of 500 megabytes a day. There are free and paid option for those wanting a full license:
- Free: For the free license features include: the use of 500 megabytes a day, universal indexing, accelerated reporting, Index Replication and a developer platform.
- Full: The full version is available for $6,000 for a 500 megabyte-per-day perpetual license, including first year support, or U.S. $2,000 per year for a term license including support. The full version has all of the features of the free version, while other features include: a distributed search, single sign on, PDF delivery, and access to premium Splunk apps.
- IDC: 10 Predictions For Emerging Technologies In 2015
- Hortonworks IPO: Why It Has to Happen Tomorrow
- Are You Too Old to Work in Tech? IT's Midlife Crisis
- What's Next for Big Data? Predictions for 2015
- 4 Ways SharePoint Navigation Breaks Usability Best Practices
- Honest-to-God, Absolutely True Marketing Predictions for 2015
- 6 C's for More Efficient IT In 2015 [Infographic]