The year is off to a fast start for free and open source content management system (CMS) vendors, with plenty of updates, meetings and more. We're sharing the latest updates — and inviting everyone with FOSS CMS news to drop us a line. We'll include you in our next monthly column.
Sometime this year, Drupal is expected to unleash the latest version of its CMS, Drupal 8. Why should you care? Project manager Tim Tufts said there are several key new features in what is already being touted as the most business ready version of Drupal yet.
- Manage your site's content from your phone: The Drupal 8 Mobile Initiative is a group effort to increase the functionality of Drupal 8 on tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices.
- Increased multilingual functionality: You’ll be able to not only translate a page’s content for a specific language, but also build views and determine what blocks should appear for that language.
- Built around HTML5: Drupal creator Dries Buytaert said that will provide a better user experience on both desktop and mobile devices, and could lead to a convergence between native applications and the mobile web.
Hippo will implement "a shiny new look and feel" this year with updates offering more experience management and enterprise features. The company also entered a partnership with networked European software and solutions company ISDC, which will result in more Java developers in ISDC locations in Romania and Bulgaria who will be trained in implementing Hippo CMS.
Earlier this month, Robert Rose, senior analyst at Digital Clarity Group, presented a webcast for Hippo on five customer experience innovations that will really take off in 2014. You can watch it here.
Jahia also had a webinar, which detailed how to integrate Alfresco and Jahia, "the two major open source solutions in your intranet." It showed how a best of breed approach — "using the best Java CXM with the best Java document management system" — could optimize results.
Tomorrow and Friday, the company is hosting JahiaOne, an international user conference in Paris. It's designed for Jahia developers, users, clients and partners to meet, share their experience and discover Jahia's upcoming versions.
Joomla has a number of upcoming events:
- Joomla User Group Dallas/Fort Worth will meet on Feb. 10 at Improving Enterprises in Addison, Texas and hold a general roundtable on Feb. 17.
- Joomla User Group Pune, India will host a Meetup on Feb. 12 at Cafe Coffee Day in Pune.
- Joomla User Group Milwaukee will host a Meetup on Feb. 20 at Brookfield, Wis.
- JoomlaDay(s) Gabon 2014 will be held Feb. 20 to 22 in Libreville, Gabon.
With the long-term support release 5.8 of the Nuxeo Platform launched, the company is focusing on its next major version with a series of fast-track releases. In late December, it released Fast Track release 5.9.1. While primarily a technical release, it also included two new features:
- Mule ESB Connector: A lightweight enterprise service bus allows developers to connect applications together and share data. There is a webinar Feb. 12 to explain how to use the Mule ESB Connector. You can register for this free webinar now.
- iOS SDK: A new iOS SDK enables developers to connect iOS applications to the Nuxeo Platform through the REST API.
The next Nuxeo Tech Talk will be held Feb. 13 in Paris. Nuxeo will also be attending Cloud Expo Europe Feb. 26 and 27 in London.
- Is Box Writing Enterprise Content Management's Obituary?
- Customer Journeys Trump the Traditional Sales Cycle
- The Future of SharePoint is the Cloud #gartnerpcc
- Gartner Names Wise Choices for Workplace Social Software
- Microsoft Leaves Ballmer Bleeding as It Moves On
- 12 Steps To A Successful ECM Deployment #gartnerpcc
- Are You a Top 20 Document Management Vendor? [Infographic]