After celebrating Memorial Day a little too early and too often, the DAM Lowdown arrives with: an Agenda for Henry Stewart's DAM NY, Consolidated Graphics' Debut of WorkSmart Suite, a Handbook for Image Metadata, Some Alarming Results from a Survey on Tape Stock Availability and Quick Hits.
Agenda Available for DAM New York
Now a regular in the DAM Lowdown, the Henry Stewart Group has released the agenda for the upcoming event in New York on June 8 and 9. The event will be chaired by David H. Lipsey and will include presentations from:
- Richard Buchanan, Vice President & General Manager, Content Services, Comcast Media Center (CMC)
- Theresa Regli, Principal, The Real Story Group
- Pieter Casneuf, CEO, ADAM Software
- Matt Turner, Principal Media Technologist, MarkLogic Corporation
- Jason Bright, Founder, MediaBeacon, Inc.
Along with individual presentations, the conference will also offer the following panels:
- DAM and Its Future for Broadcast, Media and Entertainment: An “Eye to the Enterprise” Executive Roundtable
- Protecting the Brand with DAM -- Experiences from the Front Line
- Distribution, Protection and Monetization of Digital Content: The Ecosystem Around Securing and Enabling the Supply Chain.
- How the iPad /Tablet has Changed Our DAM consumption
- How to Overcome Change Management Challenges and Successfully Integrate DAM into Your Organization
If you are going to be in the city on June 8-9, it's worth your time (and your company's money) to join the DAM fun.
Consolidated Graphics Unveils WorkSmart Suite
Consolidated Graphics is most well known as a print production powerhouse. And yet, before assets can be printed, they have to be created and managed in a digital format.
Targeted specifically at marketers and marketing departments, WorkSmart Suite is a technology platform for creating, managing and distributing marketing campaigns.
WorkSmart Suite is made up of three integrated yet separate applications:
- Streamline, formerly known as StoreFront: A web-based solution that combines a variable-data printing engine with an e-commerce component to provide screen proofing, mail list procurement, and HTML products
- Connect, formerly known as CrossMedia: A direct marketing tool that provides the personalization of direct mail, websites, webmail, text messages, and QR codes
- Organize, formerly known as Digital Asset Management: A digital library for marketers accommodating all forms of digital media
More information can be found at www.cgx.com.
Finally, a Handbook for Image Metadata
Commissioned by CEPIC -- a European photography agency -- and created by the International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC), the CEPIC/IPTC Image Metadata Handbook is available for free download from the IPTC website.
The handbook is a PDF package including:
- Image Metadata Planning Guide
- Information on the Legal Framework for Metadata Use
- Quick Reference Charts for IPTC Core and Extension Fields
- Interactive Metadata Workflow Planning Tool
If you are looking for a starting point to wrap your head around managing image metadata, here it is.
Survey Says: Tape Stock Shortage is a Crisis
JCA, a digital production house and media asset management platform provider, has released the results of a survey of the UK production industry about the tape shortage resulting from the earthquakes and tsunami in Japan.
The results are troubling, to say the least:
- 50% of respondents do not employ digital distribution methods, therefore
- 45% believe the tape stock shortage is of major concern or business critical
While the demand for digital alternatives is growing, the key takeaway here is that tape isn't going anywhere soon.
Simon Kay, Managing Director of JCA, had this to say:
The crisis in Japan is forcing many production companies to review their distribution methods and this study shows that there is a degree of panic out there as a result of tape shortages... After careful consideration is given to digital delivery methods, the benefits in terms of archiving, transportation and cost clearly reveal the advantages of going fully digital."
This week's Quick Hits include a product announcement, a noteworthy platform selection and helpful hints.
Things to Think About When Thinking About DAM
Comparison of Streaming Video Types
Canto Releases Cumulus 8.5
Canto released a new version of its digital asset management platform including multilingual metadata (20 languages), advanced administration capabilities plus editing and uploads to Cumulus Sites, the company's web-based file sharing service.
KIT Digital Powers Chinese Television
All those acquisitions seem to be paying off for KIT Digital (news, site), as it has been chosen for the launch of China United Television (CUTV). CUTV is a new media platform developed by a group of 19 leading television stations and newspapers throughout the People's Republic of China, led by the Shenzhen Media Group.
Twitter Shoutout of the Week
This week's winner of the Twitter Shoutout of the Week is…
@EOC_aaron -- Also known as Aaron Becker. Aaron is a Senior Developer at Evolution of Communication, a digital marketing and communications firm located in Atlanta, Ga. Thanks for tweeting the Lowdown, Aaron.
As always, thanks for your time and attention. I will see you next week.