The DAM Lowdown returns with the following news and notes from the world of digital asset management: DAM Events, Survey Results for 2010 of DAM Best Practices, Revenues Rising for Media Storage Systems, DAM Resources from Widen, Kodak Looks to Sell 1000 Digital Imaging Patents, and Quick Hits.
Chicago is the current hot spot for DAM conferences. Having just wrapped up a seminar from the team at Createasphere, the Windy City now welcomes The Henry Stewart Group and DAM Chicago 2011 on September 13.
Another upcoming event requires only a computer and an internet connection. DAM Lowdown regular Canto (news, site) hosts a webinar on Wednesday, 7/27 titled: Getting Started with DAM. Starting at 11 am (PDT), the free webinar is intended to help people as the begin researching DAM platforms for implementation.
Survey Results for 2010 of DAM Best Practices
- Many existing DAM platforms are aging, and not aging well. Whether these platforms were once off-the-shelf products or are home-grown, they are now so heavily customized that they have become unmaintainable. Organizations now look to technologies like BPM to prevent a repeat experience.
- Dedicated, standalone DAM systems are being replaced with more integrated systems. This points directly at a premise often put forth here in the Lowdown that DAM is quickly converging with other technologies such as web content management systems.
- People are slowly learning that "systems are not solutions". Companies must look at their processes first, get those right, and then implement systems that best support said processes. Bending your processes around your software causes more problems that it solves.
Revenues Rising for Media Storage Systems
According to the 2011 Digital Storage for Media and Entertainment Report, the future for media/entertainment storage systems is bright:
- Between 2011 and 2016, we should see a 770% increase in necessary digital storage capacity and as much as 560% growth storage capacity shipments per year.
- Revenues will increase approximately 170% from 2011 to 2016: from US$3.8 B to US$6.4 B.
- By 2016, tape units will decline to 39.1% while hard drives will increase to 60%.
- By 2015, digital archiving and content conversion will consume 61 Exabytes of digital storage.
- ATA hard drive arrays are becoming the most popular solution for readily retrievable fixed storage.
DAM Resources from Widen
Despite the fact that they are in here every week, I promise that Widen (news, site) isn't a sponsor (at least not yet). The fact is that Widen publishes a lot of content intended to help people work in the digital asset management space. We have three more to offer this week:
- I am the last to the party with this one, but if you need or want to learn about DAM a great place to start is DigitalAssetManagement.com.
- If whitepapers are more your style, the latest offering from Widen is: DAM - What to Know Before You Go.
- Project Collaboration Demo
Kodak Looks to Sell 1000 Digital Imaging Patents
When your stock price is down 56% for the year, you need to find ways to generate cash. One way is to sell your intellectual property. Kodak (news, site) holds more than 1,100 digital imaging patents focused on capturing, processing, storing, organizing, editing and sharing digital images.
Kodak appears to be more interested in areas such as inkjet and packaging printing, and the company intends to mortgage its digital imaging IP to fund those interests.
I can't help but be saddened by this. I know Kodak's shareholders won't shed a tear and maybe a few jobs will be saved, but it's a shame to see a brand sell itself to the highest bidder.
Life After Files
Alex Bowyer, writing at O'Reilly's Radar Blog, provides a compelling argument why "files need to die".
Workamajig Releases an Update for iOS and Mac OS X 10.6.8
Workamajig creates integrated software for ad agencies and other creative and design industries. Leveraging HTML5, this new release intends to make users completely mobile.
CX Raises US$5 million in Funding from Eric Schmidt and Others
EMET: Electronic Metadata Extraction Tool
Types of Metadata
Photometadata.org continues its "META 101" series with coverage of different types of metadata.
Dr. DAM Discusses ROI
Video-8 Partners with Dalet to Offer MAM in the Cloud
Australia-based Video-8 Media intends to leverage Dalet Enterprise Edition to create a cloud-based media asset management service for its current and future customers.
Airbus Looks to KIT Digital for Signage Solution
Last week's Lowdown was the most popular yet with 26 Tweets. You guys rock and I greatly appreciate all of you in the Twitterverse for spreading the good word.
Twitter Shoutout of the Week
I am feeling generous this week, so here are two Twitter Shoutouts:
@kpetrovich - Also known as Kristen Petrovich, Ms. Petrovich is the President of HD Expo and Createsasphere. If you work in entertainment technology and need help with an event, she is the lady to call.
@dcilea - As the President of Springboard Public Relations and Marketing, he spends his time helping SMBs with their marketing needs and re-tweeting awesome DAM columns.
As always, thanks for your time and attention. I will see you next week.