It must have been some party at JustSystems (news, site) when they celebrated the tenth birthday of XMetaL because we haven’t really heard a lot from them, until now. They have just announced the launch of XMetaL Author Enterprise and Reviewer 6.0.
Anyone familiar with JustSystems’ XMetaL will be familiar with earlier versions of both products, which combined, give users collaborative XML authoring and powerful document reviewing tools.
However, they haven’t just upgraded the two products; they have also integrated them in a move that provides authors with the tools to inititate and manage reviews, as well as specialized editing commands that enable authors act as soon as problems are flagged.
Working within both DITA and other industry standards, what this means in practical terms is that the integration combines XML authoring with real-time web-based document reviewing. The new products, the company says, will save both time and money.
XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0
XMetaL Author Enterprise is a streamlined content lifecycle solution accessible by and to all users across an entire enterprise.
Using XML and DITA, XMetaL Author Enterprise brings content to market faster by bringing structure and automation to the process of content creation.
Earlier in the year, with the release of v5.5, XMetaL Author Enterprise became compatible with SharePoint and came with import and export features enabling users import into or export out from SharePoint DITA documents on a mass scale.
With v6.0 these abilities have been kept, with the additional ability of re-purposing higher-value information into the languages and content format clients need.
In fact, XMetaL Author Enterprise can be used with virtually any content management system on the market at the moment and enables authors to create and collaborate on XML documents without being a skilled XML coder.
- Support for XInclude and XMetaL inclusions that can display XML content of text
- Ability to designate areas as links with the ‘Treat as Link’s enhancements
- Auto correct and spell check that looks much like similar functions in Microsoft Word
- Support for doctypes that use xs:redefine
- Files output with Table of Content, Index and Search included
- Works on any platform or browser
XMetaL Reviewer 6.0
XMetaL Reviewer 6.0 is basically a collaborative tool that will speed up the document lifecycle by enabling a number of different authors to work on a document at the same time.
While there are many different new features with it, three in particular are worth noting from a collaboration point of view.
- Document context provided by a reference PDF generator that shows what the final document might look like and enables users to navigate to parts of the document under review.
- Easy review administration with reviewer assignments, reviewer tracking, with the ability to provide metadata from multiple reviewers.
- Real time monitoring of projects that are in progress, including multi-document reports and summary reports.
The purpose of the integration, according to JustSystems, is to enable companies to get to market quicker by simplifying the document authoring process.
Learn more about each new product version and their integration on JustSystem's website.