SharePoint 2010 users who need to share documents outside the firewall just got a new option. WatchDox, which provides a secure document sharing and control software-as-a-service(SaaS) solution, announced a new integration with the popular SharePoint 2010.
Sharing Securely With SharePoint
Numerous organizations implement SharePoint to improve document sharing and collaboration. However, many encounter challenges such as:
- difficulty sharing documents with parties external to the firewall
- difficulty sharing documents to users with mobile devices, especially those that are not corporate controlled
- inability to monitor or control subsequent distribution of the document once it has been shared
It is these issues that WatchDox’s SharePoint Connector addresses. The solution allows administrators to empower users with the ability to share documents, or document libraries, securely from SharePoint with anyone – even if they are outside the firewall. WatchDox users can restrict document recipients from downloading, copying, printing and forwarding the shared documents.
WatchDox permissions management interface
The solution also supports granular tracking and auditing of shared content and the ability to destroy shared documents at any time – even after they have been downloaded.
WatchDox monitoring interface
The ability to destroy documents post distribution could be a benefit to organizations with mobile devices in use. If a device containing sensitive information is stolen or lost, content shared using WatchDox can be removed to reduce the risk of an information breach.
What About Information Rights Management?
Readers who have dealt with the challenges before may be wondering how the WatchDox’s SharePoint Connector differs from existing digital/enterprise/information rights management products such as Windows Rights Management Server (RMS), which can be configured for SharePoint. Rights management technology has the same core goal as the WatchDox solution -- protecting documents from unauthorized viewing, printing, editing and forwarding after they have been shared.
WatchDox’s solution has a number of differentiators from traditional rights management solutions such as:
- Designed to share documents internally and externally -- although some RM products such as Documentum protect documents externally, for the most part the solutions are designed to secure content inside of the enterprise
- Dynamic permission changes post distribution -- WatchDox allows users to change document permissions even after the document is shared
- Low technical barriers to entry -- WatchDox is deployed as a service, making it easier to deploy and maintain as compared to non-service based enterprise rights management platforms; for example, RMS requires the RMS server software, SQL Server and Active Directory plus a significant set of configuration tasks
Getting the WatchDox SharePoint Connector
The WatchDox SharePoint connector is available now from WatchDox. In addition, the company will be demonstrating the product at the upcoming SharePoint conference in Anaheim, Calif. October 3 - 6.