What Exactly Changed
If you ever been editing multiple versions of a document and wondered what changed, Workshare Compare might make that easier. Apparently, a lot of people think so. According to Workshare, more than 1.8 million people currently use the solution. It is a document and PDF comparison solution that allows you to view what changed in a document or even among multiple versions of a document. It supports Word-Word, PDF-PDF, Word-PDF and PDF-Word document comparisons.
The latest version includes a number of enhancements that make it faster and easier to see the changes you care about most in a document. One new capability is the ability to see changes by category, This allows you to focus on specific types of changes -- a helpful features if multiple users are collaborating to review a document.
In addition to the new compare by category feature, there are a number of additional enhancements:
- User interface (UI) changes: The UI has been updated to be more consistent with Windows 7 and Office 2010, which may make it more intuitive for users. The UI also now supports moving, docking and hiding windows in the workspace.
- Automated alerts: Workshare Compare can now detect and compare changes when attachments are sent. It can also identify whether a document has been edited in Outlook.
- Search: Enhanced search is now supported across all document information, including the original, modified and redlined documents. In addition, for redline documents, users can select whether they want the product to search changed text only, text near a change or all redline text
In addition to the new capabilities, Workshare also expanded platform support in Workshare Compare 7. The newest release adds support for:
- Windows 7 SP1
- Office 2010 SP1
- Workshare OCR Server 3.0
- Lotus Notes 8.5.2 and latest fix packs for 8.5.1
- Citrix XenApp 6/XenDesktop 5
It also enhanced the installation and administrative features to make it easier for enterprises to roll out and manage the product to a large number of users. Customers that want to develop more customized solutions with Workshare Compare gained two new APIs in this version that support custom integrations for document comparison and PDF conversion.