When Bitrix (news, site) released v9.0 of Intranet Portal earlier this year it added Bitrix video, security and process management updates. This week, the introduction of v9.5 focuses on Enterprise 2.0 functionality and drops the ‘portal’ out of its name.
The name change is also for the benefit of SMBs. The target market was under the impression that Bitrix provided an expensive, enterprise-level intranet, which the word ‘portal’ seems to evoke, Bitrix says. With the new additions to Intranet v9.5 however, there is in fact a lot of functionality that would normally be associated with enterprise intranets.
Version 9.5 comes in three different editions that cater to three different kinds of SMBs. The editions include:
- InfoSpace Edition: Comes with a centralized corporate directory that enables easy information discovery
- TeamSpace Edition: Everything contained in the InfoSpace Edition plus collaboration and communication features that streamline internal work processes
- BizSpace Edition: Everything from the other two editions plus a business-driven framework with advanced workflow and project management tools.
To these three editions, Bitrix has added a new list of features that offer collaboration across the enterprise that is enabled by the new look and feel of the product which, Bitrix says, offers easier insight into the v9.5 functions.
The new look Bitrix Intranet v9.5
Some of those new features include:
- Extended usability: Click-away editing of the front-end makes interface customization easy, while an adaptive interface at the back end enables product fine-tuning.
- Wiki: Extend wikis using a WYSIWYG editor, text versioning and roll-back as well as immediate indexing and access-rights management.
- Instant search: An integrated D.I.G search engine offers real-time search across intranet content and enables users locate files and people across the entire intranet.
- Simplified document management: Users can replicate all intranet document storages, which they use as a single network drive. A single button click makes public, workgroup-specific and private storages available
Bitrix Intranet v9.5 records management
Enterprises can also apply specific business processes to records with a visual constructor, and in doing so, automate routine activity. You might recall from earlier on this year that this was one of the key features in developing an agile BPM.
While this might seem like a lot of functionality for a small organization, Bitrix says it is easy enough to disable specific functionality or even try features from other editions.
SMBs, just like other enterprises, need content management and collaboration solutions. The problem is that SMBs don’t have as much choice as enterprises -- the platforms are either too simple and single-purposed or overly feature-rich.
There is a 90 free trial that provides users with a real sense of its capabilities. Prices range from US$ 499 for the cheapest edition to US$ 3299 at the upper end of the range.