deviceanywhere_logo.jpgDeviceAnywhere (news, site) spends its efforts helping companies mobilize their apps, from which it generates information that it has revealed in a series of stats.

Smartphone Stats

DeviceAnywhere's Mobile Metrics Report, based on hundreds of thousands of hours of app and phone testing, gives an overview of what is going on in the enterprise smartphone market. While the buying public is still worshipping at the altars of iPhone and Android, it shows that most businesses are still working happily with their Blackberry devices.

Some 41% of all testing is done on that family of devices, although it has slid over 13% in a year, which doesn't bode well for the long term. The booming Android family comes in second at 30% with iOS devices at 17%. Tablet devices are starting to appear on the list, highlighting their slow uptake in business, but we can expect them to be making major inroads with the launch of tablets from all parties.

DeviceAnywhere's usage chart shows the major phone players in enterprise

Take a Tablet

The report shows that HTC makes the most popular enterprise Android smartphones and that Samsung's Galaxy Tab was the first tablet to make it into the top 20. Where was the iPad? Presumably, any dedicated iPad apps don't go through DeviceAnywhere's testing servers, or the volume isn't there yet.

We've seen several iPad enterprise apps recently, including Egnyte's cloud storage service, and the iPad 2 launch, so there should be a beachhead of iPads in businesses for future reports. Overall, smartphones take up some 67% of the market, with lower-grade feature phones taking up the other 33%, which means there is plenty of sales to be had among enterprise customers looking to upgrade to smartphones in the next cycle.

However, with a range of tablets now available, will business look to the larger, potentially more productive, devices? Blackberry's upcoming PlayBook will support Android apps, so that could go some way to limiting RIM's slide in the market.