Microsoft Office SharePoint Server has a new friend in Autonomy Corp. The information compliance vendor has recently unveiled ControlPoint, enabling real-time, policy-driven control over SharePoint content. This SharePoint extension, while allowing organizations to comply with corporate, legal and regulatory standards, can and will assist enterprises with maintaining eDiscovery requirements -- a critical task in today's world. ControlPoint fulfills capabilities in the area of governance, performing tasks such as classification, preservation or disposition of information contents. This is accomplished by utilizing a centralized policy hub -- ControlPoint -- which functions throughout all the servers within an enterprise environment.
ControlPoint Governance Features
Autonomy ControlPoint gives organizations a leg-up in the world of eDiscovery by providing customers with plenty of features that address issues with SharePoint:
* Seamless Integration: Over 1,000 file content types can be retrieved by utilizing over 400 IDOL connectors.
* Dashboard View: This view enables customized dashboards that show information and alerts related to the information management process while also increasing visibility and streamlining eDiscovery tasks like legal hold and disposition.
* In-place Management: No need to replicate content from other servers for eDiscovery requirements as it can all be done in-place. Furthermore, this functionality insures that information is not accidentally deleted while in use for legal hold or regulatory matters.
* Enhanced Analytics, Security and Reporting: Support for clustering, faceted navigation and visualizations are just a few of the new features that make working with SharePoint and maintaining eDiscovery a little bit easier.
SharePoint Lacks Governance
The point Autonomy is making is that SharePoint only addresses the "productivity" portion of the information life cycle. As a result, when it comes to governance or eDiscovery, the whole concept appears like an afterthought for SharePoint:
* Lack of taxonomy creation or categorization of documents against a hierarchy
* Applying legal hold policies is, overall, cumbersome
* No centralized control or discovery of information being published or collaborated on
* Inadequate controls for maintenance and disposition of content
All of these problems can lead to real severe and damaging legal, regulatory or corporate consequences, which could take years to recover from.
Autonomy now joins the ranks SharePoint Governance solution providers along with Open Text and Enterprise Informatics and eCopy. All solutions are different, but offer lifecycle management and support eDiscovery requirements.
Anyone interested in making up for what SharePoint lacks in eDiscovery features and functionality should considering checking out Autonomy's ControlPoint Web site for more information.
CMSWire is a leading, native digital publication produced by Simpler Media Group, Inc. We provide articles, research and events for sophisticated professionals driving digital customer experience strategy, evolving the digital workplace and creating intelligent information management practices. The CMSWire team produces 450+ authoritative articles per quarter for our 750,000 community members. Join us as a subscriber.