Introduced when EMC (news, site) upgraded Documentum to v6.5, Media WorkSpace, the primary interface at the front of its Brand Management Solution, has just been upgraded to improve users’ abilities to manage their digital assets.
As a web-based interface built using Adobe (news, site) Flex, Media WorkSpace enables users to manage their assets from both Windows and Macintosh browsers without having to install it on the desktop.
WorkSpace and Brand Management
As the principal user interface for EMC’s Documentum Solution for Brand Management, it gives enterprises complete visibility into a repository on the Documentum platform via an easy-to-use interactive application for managing a company’s brand.
And with the upgrades, amongst other things, users get improved visibility through dashboards, workflows, comment capabilities and item ratings as well as enhanced permissions to protect assets that are entering the repository or those that have been placed there during business processes.
Documentum's Media WorkSpace
Amongst the new capabilities in this version of Media WorkSpace are:
- Better video asset management with storyboards, renditions and version management as well as different views and players.
- New social media features to help collaborative processes including assessment of the importance of each asset and how it relates to other assets in the repository.
- A new personalized dashboard that will track all assets and provides users with lists of asset view histories as well as identify what the most frequently used assets are.
DAM and WorkSpace
Overall though,there are three distinct areas in WorkSpace:
Advanced content management
Developed because of the huge variety of images and video assets that are now used in an enterprise, Media WorkSpaces provides:
- Asset preview without downloading
- Easy search using advanced criteria including custom attributes
- Result filtering using toolbar that remove irrelevant assets
- Immediate view of all metadata associated with asset.
WorkSpace image search
To help users collaborate, WorkSpace enables them to indicate the importance or relevance of an asset to a particular campaign as well as add notes that include suggestions on how a feature needs to be changed. Other features here include:
- Collections: Enable users to create assets and collections of assets around a particular marketing campaign as well as manage the grouped content.
- Annotations: Users can work and draw directly on an image with notes on the suggested changes posted anywhere on the screen.
- Comparison: Enables two or more images side by side on the screen in different arrangements with easy access to metadata of both images.
- Ratings: Tag and rank assets according to their use in a given campaign.
On top of the drag-and-drop capabilities across the client, WorkSpace also comes with a number of features aimed at making the experience more productive. These include:
- Bulk-load: Bulk load assets while working on some other task.
- Link Tracker: Track URL’s where asset has already been used.
- Out-of-date: Indicates when assets are out of date.
DAM and ECM
According to the research contained in the Digital & Media Asset Management product evaluations of twenty–two vendors, the availability of some standard features in WCM and ECM solutions is pushing pure-play DAM vendors to supply advanced features that would not ordinarily be available in ECM, DM or WCM systems.
But it looks like the DAM vendors are not going to have it all their own way in this respect as ECM vendors like EMC improve the capabilities of their DAM components. The upgrade to Media WorkSpace is likely to make it a very attractive proposition in a very crowded market place. If you are interested in a demo of Workspace you can access it here after registration.