eXo (news, site) has released the latest version of their Document Management System -- DMS 2.5 -- with improvements that offer users the ability to change unstructured content into structured content .
This, the company says will be done across all the document processes that are capturing, managing, storing, preserving and delivering documents while at the same time securely distributing it.
The kicker is that users can do this in the same way they might use File Explorer on Windows and File Finder on MacOSX.
User Interface Extensions
At the time, Red Hat identified a number of features that had attracted them including UI flexibility and straightforward management administration, which eXo has also brought to its v2.5 of its DMS.
In effect, the new release comes with a new interface to navigate and work on documents in a more intuitive manner.
Easy File Retrieval
eXo DMS is one of the core components of eXo's enterprise content management suite. eXo says that the new features in eXo DMS 2.5 will improve user productivity and experience by making it easier to find files and giving users the option to customize their environment to suit their needs.
Putting aside the fact that everyone is offering improved user productivity these days, eXo appears to be targeting smaller enterprises that have not already gone down the Documentum or SharePoint route.
“Software packages like Documentum and SharePoint may be more widely used at larger organizations, but shared drives remain the most common way for people to connect, share and collaborate on documents,” said Benjamin Mestrallet, CEO of eXo Platform.
He added that the focus of this new system is on offering a product that would shorten the learning curve generally associated with these systems.
Intuitive File Sharing
With this, eXo is putting all its functionality bets on user familiarity with this kind of file sharing.
Symbolic linking for working in complex file structures
This means that document navigation and research will be facilitated through an explorer like the one you can find in a classic operating system, while at the same time tagging those documents.
Collaboration processes can also be easily defined through ‘editing’ and ‘viewing only’ policies enabling users to assign roles for every single document as well as defining any “coded” action required like sending it back, delivering it or just about anything else.
Along with this comes several ways to capture documents such as Kofax plug-in, aggregation through RSS or email.
New customized action buttons
Five New Upgrades
There are five principal upgrades that can be summarized as follows:
- Interface extension that enables the creation of extensions and plug-ins to File Explorer. The company says it is expecting a lot of development in this respect providing plug-ins for all.
- Customized action buttons leading to simplified work functions so that all areas of the system can be accessed quicker. They can be customized to suit the document type.
- Customized taxonomy management enabling users to define where they will store documents and, more importantly, how they will retrieve them.
- Simplified access to important folders through ‘short cuts’ that link users to a short cut file that they can work on, leaving the real file intact.
- Enhanced contributor collaboration with Google Gadgets support.
eXo 2.5 is available now and is licensed under the Affero General Public License (AGPL).