Open source ECM platform vendor Nuxeo is having a busy week. Yesterday, it announced its pretty new interface for its subscription support portal, and today, the availability of its development environment. Christmas must be coming early for Nuxeo users.
Nuxeo’s Eclipse IDE
Eclipse is arguably one of the most popular development environments in existence. It provides almost every feature a developer could want. If it doesn’t, you can build it -- it is open source. That’s exactly what Nuxeo has done. Nuxeo’s Eclipse plugin isn’t the first time Nuxeo has invested itself with Eclipse. Earlier this year, the company contributed its content repository to the Eclipse foundation.
Nuxeo has created a plugin that adds support for Nuxeo development and customization to Eclipse that fits neatly in the space between Nuxeo’s development as a service environment Nuxeo Studio and roll-your-own integrated development environment (IDE). The graphical Nuxeo Studio allows developers to customize Nuxeo, but actually extending the platform requires a more sophisticated development environment and work.
Nuxeo is committed to long-term support of IDE. The plugin contains an embedded Nuxeo distribution that helps developers start being productive. It supports all development or stable versions of the Nuxeo Platform after version 5.4.2. The next release of the Nuxeo platform, and all future releases, will be compatible with the Nuxeo IDE.
The new Nuxeo IDE provides a more user-friendly environment that lowers the technical bar for developers. Features include:
- Hot Reload for no restart requirements to see live changes in a Nuxeo instance
- Templates and Wizards used to guide the creation of new plugins, including content operations, content services, content converters, web apps and user actions
- Deployment profiles to deploy and test on different environments or versions
- Code completion for the content model when bound to a Nuxeo Studio project
- Automated dependency management for Maven-based projects, enabling generation and management of POM files
- Integration of Nuxeo Shell to facilitate development and debugging
Nuxeo IDE Wizard
The first version of Nuxeo IDE is available now on the Eclipse Marketplace and Nuxeo website at no cost. If you download it, let us know how you like it. Nuxeo is also asking for feedback on bugs, enhancements and new wizards.