Open source document management software provider Nuxeo (news, site) is continuing its tradition of making its enterprise content management easier to use for developers. The company has announced new versions of its case management framework, development studio and a connector for allowing Adobe Flex applications to integrate with Nuxeo.
Nuxeo Case Management, Studio
Today Nuxeo released new versions of Nuxeo Case Management Framework (CMF), a pre-built case management application on top of Nuxeo’s Enterprise Platform -- a framework for building content-centric applications, and Nuxeo Studio, a cloud-based development and configuration tool.
The new releases are designed to make it easier for organizations to prototype, build and deploy case management solutions.
Several case management features have been added:
- Create a case type. Gives users the definition of one or multiple types of cases, which are specialized folders that contain content related to a case; each case type can have its own lifecycle and metadata
- Define a case item type. Lets users define the types of items that can be included in a case
- Define automatic events. Lets users specify a chain of operations that are invoked in response to specific actions
- Define Lifecycles. Includes a graphical lifecycle definition tool to define case lifecycles
Adobe Flex… Meet Nuxeo
Nuxeo’s new Flex connector lets Adobe Flex applications connect to the Nuxeo document management system. Why should you care? The connector allows users to use a shiny Flex application to manage items such as documents, workflow, tasks and users more quickly than writing custom code from scratch.
Nuxeo implemented the new functionality using an existing open source development and integration framework for creating Flex and Java Rich Internet Applications (RIA), Granite DS. GraniteDS already provided support for the popular open source Seam RIA framework from JBoss and Nuxeo enhanced it to support the services in its ECM platform.
Nuxeo Document Management with Rich Client via Adobe Flex
Although the new connector makes Flex to Nuxeo integration easier, developers may still wonder exactly how they should work with the connector or what’s possible. Nuxeo understands this.
The company provided multiple samples for using the connector. The samples show developers how to implement basic features like remote service calls to more complex scenarios such as managing state on the server and sharing information among multiple SWF applications.
The samples are available with the main user interface on a “Flex Samples” tab that displays once the samples are installed.
Now that the initial version of the Flex connector has been released, Nuxeo has a couple of additional goals for the connector, such as:
- Update the connector to more current versions of GraniteDS and the FlexSDK.
- Integrate Nuxeo Automation to the connector more closely. The new integration will switch from the text/XML based JSO format to a binary format used to serialize ActionScript objects, Action Message Format (AMF). This should provide better performance than the JSON approach.
The new Flex connector is available now in the Nuxeo marketplace for download. To keep the download small, samples are included in a separate package. Additional documentation on the Flex Connector is available on Nuxeo’s documentation site.