That Psigen Software (news, site), a fourteen year old company that has focused on “perfect, simple imaging”, and Atalasoft (news, site), a provider of scanning and imaging technologies have gotten together is no real surprise given Pisgens’s recent form.
Psigen is mostly known for its capture solution for SharePoint — PSI:Capture — and has been busy using it to fill one of the holes in the SharePoint platform, notably its ability, or lack thereof, to provide a decent document image capture function.
Atalasoft’s crown jewel is the sophisticated, but user-friendly, image viewer VizitSP that adds viewing, cleanup, classification and annotation abilities to even the poorest system.
Document Imaging Management
Together, they say, they will be able to offer an end-to-end Document Management/Document Imaging solution that should fit all organizations, and most importantly, all pocketbooks.
So when all the cheering is over, what exactly will this partnership mean? There are three things:
- The first thing that happens is all the goodies outlined above will be adaptable to both Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) and Microsoft SharePoint Server (MOSS) environments.
- The second thing it means is that it can be used by any kind and size of business, is out of the box and can be configured very easily, providing a feature rich document viewing option to a market with few alternatives.
- And finally, by combining Vizit SP with PSI:Capture, companies can avail of a results in a best-of-breed capture and viewing enterprise content management solution that will allow companies to leverage SharePoint investments to automate paper-intensive work processes.
Integration with SharePoint Library
For those that are not familiar with Atalasoft, it brings a solution that works from a single interface that can integrate seamlessly on top of a SharePoint document library.
Users can carry out routine tasks such as document review in a workflow, or classify documents for search and records management using a native SharePoint application.
- Easy installation on SharePoint within minutes
- Fast thumbnail preview of documents
- View document in a browser-based viewer with no client software
- Support for most image formats including TIFF, PDF, MS Word, PDF, JPEG, PNG, and CAD
- Collaborate, Markup and Clean documents without having to download them
- Integrates with the free Vizit Scan-to-SharePoint utility for Kodak scanners to index and edit documents directly in SharePoint
MOSS And WSS Document Capture
As for Psigen’s PSI: Capture, it provides a feature rich scanning and capture onramp for MOSS and WSS. Users can capture document images to SharePoint from a wide variety of scanning devices, including direct connect scanners and scanning copiers.
It can also migrate documents into existing libraries, or alternatively auto-create document libraries and columns based on index/metadata information.
Other features include:
- Create searchable PDFs in SharePoint
- Route Documents to SharePoint from MFP’s
- Optical Mark Recognition (OMR)
- Separation of Profiles
- Zone-based image processing
Still only being unwrapped at the moment, there’s not a lot of reaction yet. But anything that extends SharePoint’s image management capabilities has to be good.
- A Graceful Exit for Box?
- Google Kicks the Productivity Stool From Under Microsoft
- Forget Community - 'Social' is Now a Commodity
- Facebook Shuts the Gate on Likes
- How the Internet of Things Drives Customer Engagement
- The 3 Most Damaging Enterprise Social Network Myths
- Whose Idea Was This? Amazon's Investment in Acquia