A recent survey of 2387 business decision makers who attended the first day of the Storage Expo held by ONStor revealed some interesting truths about the management of content in the UK.
Calling it "Content Chaos", ONStor reports that many UK organizations are loosing control of their information and as a result, potentially failing to ensure compliance with mandatory legislation.
ONStor conducted the survey to gain some insights into how well organizations are coping with the management of an increasing number of information sources. What they found, was that for the most part, they aren't coping that well at all.
Some key highlights of the survey included:
* 94% found it was easier to find digital documents and paper ones
* 70% used email to agree to contracts, recognizing that this was legally binding
* 60% had lost a document sent by email even though 63% said they could find an email sent over a year ago
* 41% still saved documents to their desktop instead of corporate servers
* 75% admitted to having version control issues
* 88% stated they could find an email if it was needed for an audit, but 68% said they had no controls in place for instant messaging
Marcos Burnett, Country Manager for ONStor in the UK, stated: “There was overwhelming evidence from this survey that UK corporates are struggling with the dramatic growth in business data and the flood of content now engulfing us all. Not knowing where documentation is and the loss of that information is perceived as one of the greatest challenges confronting many in business today.”
ONStor provides clustered NAS solutions for storage. They focus their solutions on enterprise data centers and content-rich organizations who need to manage the ever growing amount of unstructured data.
Does this survey hold any surprising results? Not really. The results are also not limited to the UK. Information management is a known issue and concern across the world as we move further into the digital age.
If this information concerns you, read our two-part series on eDiscovery and fuel the fire even more.
CMSWire is a popular web magazine published by Simpler Media Group. We provide news, advice and analysis for professionals driving digital customer experience strategy, evolving the digital workplace and creating intelligent information management practices. The CMSWire team produces 500+ authoritative articles per quarter for a community of over 750,000 market influencers.