Vignette today announced its inclusion in the leader quadrant for Gartner Inc.'s 2004 Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Magic Quadrant.
This listing follows Vignette's recent positioning in Gartner's leader quadrant of the 2004 Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portal Products.
The report evaluates 22 ECM vendors that offer Document Management as a foundation.
According to Gartner, "leaders have the highest combined measures of Ability to Execute and Completeness of Vision. They're doing well and are prepared for the future with a clearly articulated vision for ECM. In a content management context, they have strong channel partners, a presence in multiple geographies, consistent financial performance, broad platform support, good customer support, and dominate in one or more technology or vertical markets. They have the ability to deliver a comprehensive ECM suite by owning all six core components and have proven enterprise scalability.
"Vignette's emergence in the leader quadrant in the 2004 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Content Management exemplifies our understanding of customer needs, industry vision and dedication to innovative, scalable technology, based on J2EE(TM) and open standards," said David Shirk, senior vice president of products, strategy and worldwide marketing at Vignette.
The six components that Gartner reviewed were:
Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Content Management, 2004
- Document management for check-in/checkout, version control, security and library services for business documents
- WCM for automating the webmaster bottleneck, managing dynamic content and content authoring
- Records management for legal or regulatory purposes, long-term archiving, and automation of retention and compliance policies
- Document capture and document imaging for capturing and managing paper documents
- Document-centric collaboration for document sharing and supporting project teams
- Workflow for supporting business processes and routing content, assigning work tasks and states, and creating audit trails
Source: Gartner Research (October 2004)
Gartner's research has predicted that by 2006 50% of current ECM vendors will have merged or been acquired and that by the end of 2007 Microsoft, IBM, Oracle and SAP will share 50% of ECM revenues.
With regards to Vignette, Gartner foresees their major challenge as redefining themselves as a proper ECM contender, over-coming their origin and reputation as a Web Content Management (WCM) vendor. Buy the study (USD 495)