Vignette proudly announced that Gartner has positioned the company in the Leaders Quadrant in its Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portal Products 2008 report.
Along with highlighting Vignette’s strengths as a Horizontal Portal vendor, the researchers at Gartner also give a few words of caution.According to the report, “general interest in Web 2.0 and Enterprise 2.0 is driving several horizontal portal vendors to continue enhancing support for Ajax or alternative Rich Internet Application (RIA) technologies to provide rich user interfaces, as well as social-networking features and enterprise mashup capabilities.”
What does that really mean?
What is Gartner’s Magic Quadrant?
The Gartner Magic Quadrant is a graphical representation of a marketplace at and for a specific time period. It depicts Gartner’s analysis of how selected vendors measure against criteria for that marketplace, as defined by Gartner.
According to the latest Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portal Products, new entrants provided additional options for enterprises willing to consider open-source and software-as-a-service (SaaS) alternatives for horizontal portal functionality. To differentiate their offerings, horizontal portal vendors are incorporating support for enterprise mashups and social networking.
How the Magic Is Done
As a mere research tool, The Magic Quadrant, is just another view on the marketplace. Gartner judges vendors on their vision and ability to execute. Those vendors that make it to the Leaders Quadrant are said to have:
* Full range of capabilities to support a range of portal deployment scenarios
* Consistent product delivery in meeting customer needs for a substantial period of time
* Significant product innovation
* Success in selling to new customers across industries
What’s New in 2008
The 2008 Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portal Products evaluated 12 vendors -- including commercial open source vendors Liferay and Red Hat JBoss -- which is an increase of two companies from 2007. Oracle's acquisition of BEA Systems was balanced by three new entrants.
Interest in the general market of the SaaS horizontal portal has been fueled by Microsoft's SharePoint Online initiative. Other vendors are likely to announce SaaS horizontal portal offerings during the next year.
Vignette in the Leaders Quadrant
Vignette is not a newbie to Gartner’s Magic Quadrant. Its ECM solution was included in the Leaders Quadrant of Gartner’s Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Magic Quadrant. Source: Gartner (September 2008) This time around, Vignette Portal found itself in the bottom corner of the Horizontal Portals Leaders Quadrant surrounded by the portal giants, including Oracle, SAP, IBM and Microsoft.
About Vignette Portal
Vignette Portal integrates with Vignette Collaboration, Community and other applications, enabling the creation of personalized online experiences for individuals, groups and project teams with platform support, stability and availability. The Portal is certified on JSR 286 and WSRP 2.0 portlet industry standards.
Vignette Portal’s Strengths and Weaknesses
In its marketing materials, Vignette positions its Vignette Portal as a unique Web 2.0-ready portal framework that enables organizations to rapidly build and deliver highly customizable applications to support the real-time information needs of customers, employees and partners.
From Gartner’s perspective, Vignette Portal’s strengths include:
* Scalability and numerous customers' high-demand B2C portals
* Significant installed base for Vignette's ECM and ability to cross-sell Vignette Portal
* Strong, tightly-integrated product for enterprises looking for a combination of content creation capabilities and a portal-based delivery platform
On the cautionary side, Gartner also notes that:
* Although Vignette Portal has demonstrated its suitability for portal-based composite applications, it has competition in supporting enterprise mashups
* Vignette failed to achieve significant license growth for the past two years
* Most of Vignette's functionality is being marketed to B2C portal scenarios
After a flurry of bad news, this report sure does sound like good news for Vignette.
The complete report, priced at US$ 1,995, is available for purchase on Gartner’s website.