They've supported Red Hat Linux in their publishing software, XML Professional Publisher (XPP). Now it's time to support it in their content management system and that they do with Contenta 4.0. But that's only the start of the enhancements to this latest release.
Platform Level Enhancements
The release of CMS Contenta 4.0 brings with it a number of platform level enhancements including the support of the following:
* MS SQL Server database
* Operating systems like Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
* Upgrades to Oracle 10.2
* Upgrades to Autonomy's IDOL K2 Enterprise Search Software
* The use of virtual software for managing environments
User Experience Enhancements
Along with the added support to the various platforms Contenta can run on, the latest version of the XML
Content Management Systems offers some user interface improvements including the following:
* The use of checkin/checkout for graphics and binary file types
* The ability to manage multiple graphics at one time
* Greater visibility into the status of an object to see what state it is in
In addition to these basic improvements, the Contenta Web -- Contenta's web-based interface -- now includes graphical and editable workflow functionality.
Overall the improvements seem fitting for the CMS. With the new platform support, XyEnterprise
says they can now support just about all organizations platforms.
The CMS vendor has certainly been on a roll updating all it's products in the last few months. At the end of March we filled you in on some upgrades
to Contenta for DITA and ContentaView.
In addition to product enhancements, XyEnterprise has also expanding their offering via the acquisition of XSystems
, giving the company a new business unit focused on editorial tools development, standards expertise and consulting services and a new set of tools for the Contenta product suite.
All of this is good for a company who's product line focuses on "the most important integration tool in software today”
- at least according to a discussion panel conducted at the Gilbane Conference in San Fransisco recently. XML is definitely a key technology leading the internet today and XyEnterprise is one vendor poised to take advantage of it.