In yet another example of consumerization, Accellion has released a new product that aims to bring Dropbox-style file sharing and collaboration to the Enterprise without skimping on the security.
The platform provides workspaces for sharing files (of up to 100Gb) with both internal and external parties, complete with security measures such as the ability to assign access privileges and encryption options.
As for usability, Anyone who's used Dropbox or Box.net will be familiar with the Accellion Secure Collaboration interface:
Accellion Secure Collaboration screenshot
- Ensures end-to-end file sharing security
- Enables sharing of files up to 100GB in size
- Provides comprehensive file tracking for SOX, HIPAA, GLBA Compliance
- Eliminates FTP security and support issues
- Addresses email attachment size limits
- Reduces email storage requirements
- Provides account management
- Automates file lifecycle management
- iPhone/iPad app (available late April), and BlackBerry and Android apps also in the works.
- Plug-ins are available for SharePoint and Outlook
“The solution combines all the best of our secure file transfer offering with easy-to-use secure collaboration functionality that improves business productivity while reducing the risk of enterprise data breaches," said Yorgen Edholm, president and CEO of Accellion.
The Easier the Better
Even though the need to protect the sharing of confidential information is becoming increasingly more important, so grows the popularity of freemium solutions traditionally geared towards consumers. Finding a delicate balance seems to be today's trend, exhibited several times over by companies like box.net, Yammer and Chatter.
Accellion's tool is another cookie in a rapidly expanding jar, but it might be the right one for you if you're extra aware of security issues. Check it out in action:
- 5 Tech Trends We'll See More of in 2014
- The Future of Collaboration Isn't What It Used to Be
- SharePoint Conference Keynote: Releases and Roadmap #SPC14
- The Fall of Collaboration, The Rise of Cooperation
- Who Leads the Big Data Market? (Probably Not Who You Think)
- If You Dress SharePoint Differently, Is it Easier to Use? #SPC14
- Navigating the Microsoft Forms Roadmap #SPC14