SalesForce.com has long found itself at the top of the cloud CRM mountain, and as the old saying goes: Success breeds imitation. The latest entrant in the proverbial race is LongJump. But the question remains: Is LongJump a competitor or a copycat?
But before we get too deep into the new features, let's answer the first question on your mind...
What is LongJump?
Above, LongJump is described as a "platform-as-a-service and online database provider." However, you could say the same for Amazon Web Services, and you would only be scratching the surface.
According to the LongJump home page and as of the writing of this article, the LongJump platform supports 12,415 applications developed by its user community. Those apps are distributed across three areas:
- Shared database access apps that leverage the LongJump online database and provide automation tools
- Custom web applications deployed on the LongJump PaaS, a PaaS that supports both public and private cloud options
- A customizable CRM suite that enables sales automation and opportunity forecasts
Now that we have a better idea of what LongJump is and what the company offers, let's get back to the two new additions to the platform.
Imagine you are managing your LongJump-deployed web applications via a dashboard interface. On said interface, there is a button that creates a mobile version of your web application that will run on iOS or Android. Imagine pushing that button and said mobile version is actually created -- no coding required.
It sounds too good to be true to me as well, but that is what LongJump is offering with Javelin.
The features of LongJump Javelin also include:
- Native Mobile Experience -- database records are arranged by application and object and are available via a smartphone and tablet optimized touchscreen interface.
- Social Business Applications -- users can follow the Relay Feed (see below) for real-time updates to records and user statuses.
- Extended Engagement with Data -- users can add, edit and delete both tasks and records.
- Execute Workflow Actions -- Javelin supports LongJump's workflow and lifecycle management capabilities between team members.
- Data Portability -- all user data, permissions, and other preferences from the desktop browser version of LongJump are available in the Javelin interface.
Here is what LongJump Javelin looks like on the iPhone.
LongJump Javelin Mobile Interface - iOS
Along with a mobile interface to user data, LongJump is also now offering a Facebook-like view into user data. How Facebook-like?
LongJump Relay Feeds Page
LongJump Relay includes the following features:
- Real-time Visibility -- users can follow the status updates of other users and of records in the online database for a closer view into key work areas.
- Improved Collaboration -- teams can form workgroups around files, projects or other important data elements.
- Social Processes -- all the existing information of the LongJump platform is available via the new interface.
- Connectivity to Business Systems -- a REST API is now available to support extending the existing platform or integrating with external platforms.
LongJump believes its platform is ready to challenge the incumbents in the PaaS and Cloud CRM landscape. Whether you are a small-to-medium business, an enterprise or an independent software vendor; LongJump believes its platform will meet your needs.
What do you believe about the LongJump platform? Is it a legitimate contender in a space dominated by Salesforce.com or just another startup throwing around popular acronyms? Let us know where you stand in the comments.