Installing Liferay on Amazon Web Services (AWS) just became a little easier thanks to a new partnership between Liferay and BitNami.
One-Click Install to AWS & Bitnami
BitNami, well known for its “stacks” that make deploying popular open source web applications like SugarCRM and WordPress a one-click process, has added Liferay to the list of software it supports. In addition to enabling single click deployment for both the Community and Enterprise editions of Liferay to AWS, BitNami also added support for the open source portal on its own cloud-hosting platform, BitNami Cloud Hosting.
BitNami’s cloud platform eliminates a significant amount of the administrative overhead required to manage Liferay (and other supported software) in an enterprise environment by providing capabilities such as:
- automatic, incremental backups with configurable retention policies
- one-click servers restores
- one-click server resizing
- ability to save customized configurations as templates for new installs
- multi-server and account administrative console
- basic system performance monitoring of metrics like CPU, memory and file system utilization
The Easy Path to the Cloud
The popularity of BitNami reveals something most cloud vendors don’t advertise — moving to the cloud doesn't mean organizations no longer need workers with technical skills. Organizations that leverage lower level cloud services like the infrastructure-as-a-service platforms provided by vendors like Amazon and Rackspace require resources with many of the same skills, like operating system configuration and tuning, necessary for organizations managing their servers on premises.
This need has spurred the emergence of solutions like Amazon’s Elastic Beanstalk and BitNami. Although these services promise to remove barriers to technical entry, organizations should always test outside of production to ensure automated setups and configurations meet their needs.
- The Future of Digital Marketing: 8 Trends
- How Is Hadoop Like Teenage Sex? [Infographic]
- 6 Predictions for SharePoint, Office 365 in 2014
- What You Need to Know about Enterprise Mobility for 2014
- Hey CMO! Hey CIO! Work Together or Lose Everything
- 5 Ways Marketers Can Improve the CMS Experience
- 2014 Predictions: What Side of the Future Are You On?