The last we spoke with CommVault they were weighing in on the burden of e-Discovery. Today, it is unveiling “new, next-generation Singular Information Management innovations” designed to advance its data management solution, Simpana. In 2010, Simpana underwent a redesign and while these new offerings don’t necessarily qualify as a version update, they definitely provide customers will plenty of new features.
CommVault announced its new capabilities during a live webcast at its SolveForward 2012 virtual event. Simpana software customers can enjoy a plethora of new functionalities that tackle Big Data, simplify workflow and improve SharePoint integration, including:
- Simpana OnePass: reduces the combined time typically required to back up, archive and report by more than 50% over traditional methods with the industry's first converged backup, archive and reporting process designed to affordably protect, manage and access data on systems that have become "too big."
- Simpana SnapProtect: delivers a broad hardware snapshot that provides customers with SAN investment protection and choice, eliminating the backup window, accelerating recovery and reducing costs.
- Virtual Server Adoption: helps organizations better manage, protect and scale virtual machines across their enterprises and into the cloud.
- Simpana Edge Protection: protects data on laptops and desktops with embedded source deduplication for optimized efficiency. End users can search, access and perform self-service recovery through any Windows, iOS and/or Android device.
- Simpana 9 integration with Microsoft SharePoint: improves application performance, capacity utilization and shrinks backup windows.
Growth of Big Data
What do these new functionalities mean for the enterprise? Considering that in 2011, Gartner reported that traditional content types, including simple unstructured user data, saw growth rates of up to 80% year over year. More growth means more data. As we enter era of “big data,” companies are discovering that there simply isn't enough time, resources or budget to manage, protect, index and retain massive amounts of unstructured data using legacy methods and tools. Simpana’s new features aim to help alleviate those challenges, while effectively managing data in a way that secure and defensible.