Now that Oracle CEO Larry Ellison and Salesforce boss Marc Benioff are bosom buddies again, they must have forgotten that they and their companies still have formidable competition.
But they’ll surely be reminded when they wake-up this morning and learn that SAP customers can now infuse big data insights from social apps like Facebook and Twitter into their daily operations, no manual intervention required. This not only promises to free data workers from worrying about things like data cleansing, because SAP’s data services handles that, but it also unlocks numerous data-driven opportunities.
From Insight To Action, Seamlessly
There are many impressive announcements being made at the Strata + Hadoop World Conference in New York City this week. SAP’s stands out because it can put big data insights directly into an organization’s daily operations, thereby giving workers the information they need seamlessly. This defines the term "competitive advantage."
SAP is calling these kinds of apps "big data-enabled applications from SAP." What’s impressive about them is that they “cut through the complexity of customers having to cobble together disparate big data technologies, and then implementing applications, that integrate into existing core operations,” says Irfan Khan, senior vice president and general manager, big data, SAP.
This morning David Parker, vice president big data, SAP stood before a sold out conference audience and introduced five big data-enabled applications; four of them center around Customer Engagement Intelligence and the fifth provides intelligence about fraud. We’ll provide detail about them shortly, but first, it’s important to note how SAP, with its HANA technology, separates itself out from the crowd.
Smarter and Faster, Too
Back in 2010, SAP introduced SAP HANA, an in-memory column oriented relational database management system, which was paradigm shifting at the time and continues to be so today. What it does is process more information faster than most any other Enterprise-level competitor. It achieves this by keeping everything in memory (meaning that NO data is swapped to and from disc) and by processing transactional data (A/P,A/R.BPM, CRM etc..) and analytical data at the same time.
Though this, in and of itself, brings a competitive advantage to HANA users, SAP does something else that’s notable; it works extremely closely with hardware and chip vendors so that their technologies are designed in a way that optimizes HANA’s speed and performance. Aside from Larry Ellison, who’s incensed by HANA, it’s near impossible to find a technologist who isn’t impressed by HANA.
SAP’s Sexy Big Data Enabled Apps
Most CRM systems are "so 1990." They were designed for another era pre-big data, pre-smart phone, pre-social media, back when “the Internet,” to most people meant a dial-up connection to AOL. Needless to say, CRM systems have to change.
At SAP that has already happened and starting today SAP’s Customer Engagement Intelligence solution is Big-Data empowered. It includes four applications; each handles a different level of personalized customer interaction in the sales, marketing and customer service process. The applications leverage the real-time text analysis and predictive capabilities of the SAP HANA platform and offer access to big data insights.
- SAP Customer Value Intelligence analytic application gives sales and marketing managers real-time strategic customer insight into the true value of their customers, personalized recommendations for cross- and up-selling and closed loop execution.
- SAP Audience Discovery and Targeting analytic application allows marketing managers to engage customers and help convert prospects by running advanced segmentations on large target populations and distilling insights into focused and personalized marketing campaigns.
- SAP Social Contact Intelligence analytic application allows marketers to leverage real-time sentiment and contact insights from social media and various internal and external data sources to help fine-tune marketing campaigns and nurture leads and develop new opportunities.
- SAP Account Intelligence mobile app offers mobile sales teams real-time customer insights and personalized selling recommendations that allow them to create target lists, increase the effectiveness of their sales visits and seize sales opportunities from anywhere.
These big data empowered apps run on the SAP Enterprise Cloud which makes perfect sense because Sales and Marketing workers need to be able to access them from the road, from customer sites, at tradeshows and so on. If you want to check them out, you can do so for free for three days. They can be accessed from the SAP HANA Marketplace.
- Told You So: Ektron is Merging with EPiServer
- Where Document Management Went Wrong
- Five Hot HR Tech Trends for 2015 [Infographic]
- Who Wins, Loses in Ektron-EPiServer Web CMS Merger?
- IDC: 10 Predictions For Emerging Technologies In 2015
- 8 Companies Leading ECM Into 2015
- EMC Documentum Group Changes Its Name and Leader