Information management solutions vendor MetaVis Technologies is making no bones about who is the target demographic for its new Information Manager Power User Edition. The tool is designed to allow SharePoint “power users” to migrate and classify data created and stored in SharePoint (including SharePoint 2013) and Office365.
MetaVis Information Manager -Power User Edition allows users to migrate content from a variety of sources, including Dropbox, SkyDrive, Google Drive and a range of SharePoint environments. Highlights of the new information management application include:
- The ability to upload, migrate or copy bulk content from a file system or synchronized file hosting service
- Reclassification of content types and map fields, including enrichment of existing metadata
- Maintaining metadata created in SharePoint 2013 and 2010.
MetaVis started offering content migration for SharePoint 2013 in July 2012. All MetaVis products now work with SharePoint 2013, Office 365, SharePoint 2010, 2007 and 2003.
SharePoint Versioning Still Has Issues
In July, CMSWire columnist David Roe said there are still some issues surrounding the management of SharePoint content as users migrate to newer versions. “We can all agree that tools that enable or simplify migration can only be a good thing,” Roe wrote. “But it still doesn’t resolve the core issue around any SharePoint deployment that occurs no matter what version you happen to be working in: that issue is, of course, planning, or rather planning your deployment and how you are going to manage it.
“While we always get excited around new SharePoint versions and all the new functionality, the addition of a new version while so many older versions are still in place can only confuse the issue further,” Roe concluded.
Quest Gets into the SharePoint Migration Game
MetaVis is not the only vendor eying SharePoint migration as a target area for its technology. For example, Quest Software is currently offering free download of Quest Migration Suite. Quest describes the suite as a “single, agentless tool that installs in less than five minutes, and virtually eliminates the risks of downtime and data loss during migrations to SharePoint, SharePoint Online or hybrid environments.”
Information Manager Power User Edition is an agentless, client side tool that is available for Office 365, SharePoint 2013 and all earlier versions of SharePoint, hosted or on-premises. It also supports any version of Windows and Mac OS X. Pricing starts at starts at US$ 295 per seat or a 10-user license can be purchased for US$ 169 per seat.
- Hey Cloudera & MapR: Open Data Platform is the Real Deal
- Don't Hold Your Breath: SharePoint Release Delayed
- Discussion Point: Why Do Intranets Fail?
- Does the Apple Watch Signal a Post-Browser World?
- 11 Ways to Ruin Your CMS Project Without Even Trying
- The Sticking Point with Social Collaboration Tools
- Is There a Future in Content Marketing?