Polycom's RealPresence Mobile application enables mobile workers to get in touch with colleagues through videoconferencing without the need to be tethered to a desk or office. The company has announced the launch of its new videoconferencing app for the iPad 2, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and other platforms.
The Rise of Mobile Videoconferencing
With the trend of most new smartphones and tablet computers sporting front-facing cameras, video conferencing while on the move is rising in popularity among enterprise users. But more than just tablet-to-tablet communication, Polycom's RealPresence Mobile provides tablet computers cross-platform videoconferencing ability, which includes tablets and desktop computers.
Polycom CEO Andy Miller demonstrated the application at the keynote address during the CTIA Enterprise & Applications conference in San Diego earlier this week.
Customers who have seen our mobile applications running on Apple, Motorola, and Samsung tablets are truly inspired by the possibilities Polycom is enabling by extending video collaboration beyond the traditional boundaries of the conference room and desktop.
Research by CDW earlier this year predicts that 75% of enterprises will use videoconferencing by 2013 to help save on travel costs and to improve collaboration. However, most organizations do not want to be tied to a specific platform or technology. Rather, the best approach will be for organizations and individuals to be able to use their preferred devices and platforms in an "any-to-any" setup that includes multiple types of devices.
As such, Polycom highlights the cross-platform nature of its application as the main advantage, as it lets professionals use the device of their choice to collaborate face-to-face with colleagues likewise using their own device of choice.
Polycom RealPresence Mobile lets collaborators share content while videoconferencing.
Multi-platform Videoconferencing On the Go
Polycom's RealPresence Mobile has the following features:
- High-quality video and audio running on the H.323 or SIP protocol.
- Support for multiple platforms, including Android and iOS. More platforms and devices will be supported in the future.
- Ability to view content shared by other participants. Users can also toggle between maximizing the video conference view or the shared document/content view.
- RealPresence Mobile also incorporates Polycom's voice quality improvement technologies, including echo cancellation, voice detection, background noise suppression and loss packet recovery.
- Support for firewalls and VPN access.
- Compatibility with corporate directories, for easier access to existing contacts.
At present, the Mobile version of RealPresence works on the iPad 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Motorola Xoom, and the company is working on expanding support to more devices. RealPresence Mobile is a free download from the Apple iTunes App Store (for iOS) and Android Market (for Android devices).