The skies have cleared this week, as one pesky lava-and-ash-spitting seismic structure started shifting towards a more dormant state (also reviving many airline websites -- previously suffering from 500 “server too busy” errors).
Still, many Europeans couldn’t make it to #AIIM2010, where the CMIS demo took place (among many other interesting developments). Check it out if you haven’t already. My poke-around enriched my resume with a new skill -- the CMIS demo crasher. And while we’re on the CMIS track, let’s note that less than a week is left until voting for CMIS v1.0 as an official OASIS standard comes to end.
On the opposite coast from AIIM, Drupalistas from around the world gathered in the flesh. Some of the European, volcano-ash-stranded Drupal devotees were brought in via online conferencing tools like Skype. CMSWire’s Dee-Ann LeBlanc came from her Canadian homeland to cover DrupalCon on the ground.
And in other news in the universe of content technologies:
- Autonomy Q1 Revenue Jumps 50%, Looking for New Takeover Targets. Chief Executive Mike Lynch confirmed that Autonomy is in discussions about possible acquisitions in the US later this year.
- #10c Oracle Repeats Mantra: Sun Acquisition Stacks Up. Just like in the world of dog shows, stacking up well is important to winning. Oracle executives repeated again that the acquisition of Sun was aimed at an integrated technology stack for databases, middleware and hardware.
- Open Text and MS SharePoint Partner for GRC. Open Text has been cuddling up with Microsoft on the governance, risk management and compliance (GRC) front for SharePoint 2007 and 2010.
- #drupalcon Alfresco Community 3.3 Includes In Context Editing, Integration with Lotus Quickr. Alfresco Software has released Alfresco Community Edition 3.3. This version of their enterprise content management platform highlights content services and semantic web features.
- SharePoint 2010: Using Taxonomy & Controlled Vocabulary for Content Enrichment. The semantic enrichment of content through the application of metadata tagging is a critical activity in the creation of a well managed and usable information environment.
- DotNetNuke 5.4 Adds Support for .NET4 and Document Management. Support for .NET 4 isn't the only thing new in 5.4. Another major feature introduced to the professional and elite editions is document management.
- Forrester Says More CEOs Need to Tweet and Blog. To tweet or not to tweet? Is that STILL the question? For many CEOs it is.
Most Popular Articles
These articles were what you fancied most this week, according to Uncle G's analytics data.
- Web Design: The Decline of the Homepage. Your customers don't want to get to your homepage. At best, the homepage is merely a series of signposts that will help them head in the right direction.
- Overview: SharePoint 2010 Metadata and Taxonomy Management. It would appear that SharePoint 2010 includes many new features under the umbrella of Enterprise Metadata Management, and they seem to have addressed some key issues.
- 5 Tips on Effectively Planning for SharePoint 2010 Migration. With proper planning of your SharePoint 2010 migration, you’re well on your way to revolutionizing your organization.
- How Search Has Improved in SharePoint 2010. Building on a 'real world' scenario where SharePoint 2007 (MOSS) had been deployed for enterprise search in a pragmatic fashion using a phased approach, we now look at search and the new features that have been added to SharePoint 2010.
- Gartner Publishes BPM Cool Vendor List, Agility and Dynamism Are Key. The list consists of five small companies that have made key advances in BPM over the course of the last year.
- WordPress 3.0 On the Horizon - What's Notable? The most talked about bit, by far, is the merging of the WordPress and WordPress Multi-User (MU) products.
- #drupalcon OpenPublish - Semantic Online Publishing with Drupal and OpenCalais. OpenPublish combines the open source Drupal Web CMS framework with OpenCalais, a free semantic web metadata service provided by Thomson Reuters.
Our Polls and Your Votes
Recently, we asked you to set aside all the SharePoint 2010 excitement for a minute and talk about the brand spanking new Microsoft Office 2010 Web Apps and its importance to your organization. This poll is closed now, keep an eye on the upcoming results on whether Microsoft's New Office Web Apps Will Shift the Game.
In the meantime, check out our previous poll results and commentary from industry experts:
- Poll Results: SharePoint 2010 Implementations Focused on Collaboration
- Poll Results: Web Analytics Need More Love
- Poll Results: Usability is Top DAM Challenge
Content Management Jobs
Here's what's been brewing lately in the CMS jobs and careers field. Both seekers and employers, catch the best fish of the season on our content management job board.
- Senior Visual Designer/Art Director at Blenderbox
- Ruby on Rails Developer at Blenderbox
- Account Executive at iPerceptions
- Project Management at Total Oil and Gas
- Sr. Drupal Architect at BiblioCommons
Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference, or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- May 5, 2010 -- CMS Expo 2010 (Evanston)
- May 6, 2010 -- J Boye Philadelphia 2010
- May 20, 2010 -- Gilbane Conference San Francisco
- Oct 7, 2010 -- HartmanEVENT 2010 - Social Media & Mobile Usability