Busy week it was, we hear. Stranded in Cincinnati -- where they have lots of white stuff on the ground and chili 4-way -- I bring you (or should I say "buzz you") the highlights of what's hot this week in the industry, plus job posts, featured events and more.
Some of the stories we published this week:
- WCM Field Notes: How to Know Your CMS Project is Up $--t Creek. McBoof is here again with his column. This time, talking about a little creek where the waters don't smell too rosy, but full of boats with the words CMS emblazoned on the side bobbing around.
- Buzz: Google Wants to be a Social Network, Too. Google just grew a new leg called Buzz. What we thought was going to be a simple status update option has turned out to be what can only be described as Facebook for Gmail.
- Gilbane Acquired by Analyst Firm Outsell. We know, we know. "Outsell who?" tweets had their merit. So, we called Frank Gilbane to get the scoop.
- Embrace the Fundamentals: Destroy Your Records Regularly. In the world of governance, risk and compliance (GRC), implementing regular business records destruction curtails data explosion. Yet, records and information management is about embracing the fundamentals.
- The 6 Hidden Costs of Running a DAM System. DAM can be pretty DAM expensive, in case you didn't know. We looked at 6 major cost areas.
- 5 Ways Web Design Focuses on Usability. TechRadar delivered what top experts consider to be key trends for 2010 in web design. At the core, is an increased focus on usability.
- IBM Offers Lotus Collaboration Solutions for iPhone, Mac. Who said Google's Nexus One is the iPhone killer? IBM certainly doesn't seem to think so (just yet), as they announce a slew of new business tools optimized for the Mac and the iPhone.
Most Popular Articles
These articles were what you fancied most this week, according to Uncle Google's analytics data.
- Web Design: Top 5 Wireframing Tools. As more wireframe tools become available, the focus is shifting to include IA. Here is a selection of wireframes that are sure to prove useful.
- SharePoint 2010 - 5 Hot Features to Look Forward To. With the release of SharePoint 2010 getting closer, people are getting either a) excited, b) nervous or c) all of the above. Have a look at the top 5 noteworthy changes coming with SharePoint 2010.
- Installing SharePoint 2010 on Windows 7. Did you know you can run SharePoint 2010 environments on both Windows 7 and Windows Vista SP1?
- Facebook to Dominate Webmail with Project Titan? The buzz just doesn't stop, as Facebook and Google just can’t stop one-upping each other.
- Social Media Minute: Privacy Issues with Google Buzz, Twitter Breaks 1 Billion Tweets Per Month. Facebook is not alone in having privacy issues. The new Buzz from Google may be creeping out some folks.
- Selecting a CMS: How to Build a Short List. Seth Gottlieb drills down into the science of building a short list -- one of the important steps in any Web CMS selection process. Don't let the high stakes paralyze you.
- Alterian Drops Immediacy, Morello Web CMS Brands. In this exclusive, we discussed Alterian's plans and WCM strategy. In short, it boils down to major consolidation efforts in the mish-mash of Web CMS technologies the company currently offers.
Polls and Your Votes
This week we pondered about web analytics data and whether organizations use that data well to drive business decisions and user experience improvement decisions. And this is what you've been saying so far:
To vote, head over here.
In our previous poll -- What's Your Biggest Digital Asset Management Challenge? -- we closed off with usability of a DAM system being the primary struggle point.
Content Management Jobs
Here's what's been brewing lately in the CMS jobs and careers field. Both seekers and employers, catch the best fish of the season on our content management job board. This week, there's a need for Drupalistas, and all kinds of badasses and hackers.
- Lead Developer (Drupal) at Trellon
- UI Designer/Developer at iCyte
- Rails/PHP Hacker at TechCrunch
- Web Developer (Drupal) at DivX
- Front-end Web Designer at LimeWire
- Project Manager at Stratify
- UI Developer at DotNetNuke
- Web Dev Badass at InterWorks
Traveling or Virtual, There are CMS Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference, or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- Feb 17, 2010 – Webinar: 4 Essential Strategies for Advancing Your Website's Business Impact
- Feb 25, 2010 – CoreMedia Webinar on "The Role Of WCM In Cross-Channel Customer Relations"
- Mar 9, 2010 -- Gartner Portals, Content & Collaboration Summit
- Mar 12 -- SXSW Interactive 2010
- Apr 21, 2010 – Drupalcon San Francisco 2010
- May 5, 2010 – CMS Expo 2010 (Evanston)