Welcome to the weekend! To round up the week that just zoomed right past us, we put together a list of the hottest topics du jour, as well as most popular reads, job posts, featured events and more.
From the content management perspective, we've had some buzz around two love (/hate?) stories this week: Oracle+Sun and FatWire+EMC.
On the social media front, Google Buzz continued struggling with its privacy issues nightmare. Read on to find out what else has been happening.
- Oracle + Sun: What it Means for Content Management. The end of an era, they said it was, when people saw sun.com redirecting to oracle.com. Will Oracle + Sun combo have a profound effect on the web content management industry?
- EMC Replaces their WCM with FatWire's Web Experience Management. M&A rumors didn't entirely come true. EMC didn't buy FatWire, but did admit they need a better web content management solution. Hence, the decision to resell FatWire's WEM.
- Selecting a CMS: Developing Usage Scenarios. Seth Gottlieb continues to guide us through the complex process of CMS procurement. Next step: defining practical usage scenarios. In case you missed the previous step, start with his take on how to avoid the analysis-paralysis trap and get that short list of content management software options done.
- Apache Chemistry Gains New Contributors via OpenCMIS. OpenCMIS (a project led by Alfresco, SAP and Open Text) joined Apache Chemistry efforts and is adding their collection of libraries, frameworks and tools around CMIS to the Chemistry codebase. Right in time for another Java implementation of CMIS -- xCMIS -- to hit the streets.
- How Document Management Has Evolved in SharePoint 2010. Adam Harmetz, Lead Program Manager for SharePoint Document and Records Management, gives us a tour around new DM features in SharePoint 2010.
- The Buzz Nightmare: Privacy Issues and Profuse Apologies. Barely a week after its release and Buzz has already – surprise, surprise! – pissed a bunch of people off in a huge way. Apparently Google’s sorry, but it doesn’t look like apologies are going to be enough this time.
- SharePoint, Be My Valentine: From a Glorified Network Share to an Enterprise Platform. Did it ever occur to you that a first date with someone is just like a Proof of Concept (POC) with SharePoint? Is it going to be a one-night stand, or a long-lasting endeavor?
Most Popular Articles
These articles were what you fancied most this week, according to Uncle Google's analytics data.
- Web Design: Top 5 Wireframing Tools. As more wireframe tools become available, the focus is shifting to include IA. Here is a selection of wireframes that are sure to prove useful.
- Gartner: Document Management in Top 10 Tech Priorities List. Gartner says that document management will be one of the top 10 technology priorities for CIOs in 2010. Reminiscent of 2009 top 10 strategic technologies, virtualization and cloud computing challenges will also keep CIOs on their toes this year.
- Installing SharePoint 2010 on Windows 7. Did you know you can run SharePoint 2010 environments on both Windows 7 and Windows Vista SP1?
- SharePoint 2010 - 5 Hot Features to Look Forward To. With the release of SharePoint 2010 getting closer, people are getting either a) excited, b) nervous or c) all of the above. Have a look at the top 5 noteworthy changes coming with SharePoint 2010.
- Google’s Fiber Network to Offer 1Gb per Second Connections. So, Google wants to make the Internet faster. 100X faster, to be exact.
- Selecting a CMS: How to Build a Short List. Seth Gottlieb drills down into the science of building a short list -- one of the important steps in any Web CMS selection process. Don't let the high stakes paralyze you.
- Quick Take Review: Umbraco Web Content Management System. We took a close look at the latest version of Umbraco (v4.01) and here's what we found.
Polls and Your Votes
Our latest polls show that whiles web analytics is generally understood in the enterprise the art and science of using the data for decision making still needs more love. DAM systems, on the other hand, suffer from usability issues perhaps largely a result of poor metadata practices.
Content Management Jobs
Here's what's been brewing lately in the CMS jobs and careers field. Both seekers and employers, catch the best fish of the season on our content management job board.
- Experienced Writers Wanted at Demand Studios
- Web Applications Engineers at MangoSpring
- Java Server Engineers at MangoSpring
- Technical Architect at LBi
- Technical Sales Engineer at Attivio
Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference, or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- Feb 26, 2010 – Intelligent Content 2010
- Feb 25, 2010 – Webinar on "The Role Of WCM In Cross-Channel Customer Relations"
- Apr 21, 2010 – Drupalcon San Francisco 2010
- May 5, 2010 – CMS Expo 2010 (Evanston)
- Oct 7, 2010 – HartmanEVENT 2010 - Social Media & Mobile Usability