This week in the CMS industry (don't start the acronym war on me), we saw WCM vendors change jobs to become analysts and continued sparks (or flames for some) around the (seemingly never-ending) debate on whether WordPress is a CMS.
I don’t think of WordPress (WP) as a WCMS, but that’s just me. I’m happy to call it a blog publishing application, or even a web publishing system, but having worked in the content management industry for over ten years as a practitioner, consultant and analyst, I have a pretty clear understanding of what a WCMS is…at least in my own mind.
You know, there is a lot of things that I can do to manage content using Microsoft Office, and nobody will call it a CMS.
Just like with selecting wine, there's no best wine (or best CMS, for that matter) -- massive, exuberant, tannic Cabernets will probably not go well with delicate fish like flounder. But there's just the right one to go with what's on your dinner plate.
In other news in the world of Web CMS and Enterprise CMS:
- How to Make Money with Open Source Software.There are many different ways to approach making a living, or at least covering your costs, with open source. Still, there are some common business models that you'll see throughout the open source marketplace.
- Ovum: The Future of Digital Content is not Free. The internet is not free. Or so says London-based research firm Ovum.
- Alert: What's Coming for Open Source CMS in April 2010. Curious to find out what open source ECM and WCM folks are up to? We have the scoop.
- Google Acquires Episodic, New YouTube Flavors Imminent? Looks like Google's still on an acquisition streak. This time the Web giant has picked up a video hosting platform called Episodic, which boasts measuring and monetizing capabilities in addition to broadcasting. Smells to us like a YouTube overhaul.
- Subscriptions and Partnerships Grow Alfresco's Revenues by 61%.Some things do well during a recession and open source enterprise content management is one of them. Proof in point is the release of Alfresco's annual figures that shows 61% increase in revenues.
- eZ Publish 4.3: New Admin Interface, Support for Collaboration and UGC.eZ Systems has officially released version 4.3 of their Web CMS eZ Publish. And while we alluded to what was new before, we didn't get into details. Until now.
- Document Management Roll-up: Google Fixes Outlook Glitch, No MS Office For Blackberry, iPhone. Microsoft has received a lot of attention this week with the technical preview version of its soon-to-be-released upgraded Dynamics CRM and the announcement of no mobile Office solution for the iPhone.
Most Popular Articles
These articles were what you fancied most this week, according to Uncle G's analytics data.