It’s been a long cold lonely winter...
The smiles returning to the faces...
(Soundtrack for this weekly review: The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun)
Sun's US $7.4 billion acquisition seems to be paying off, easing concerns of those with vested interest. When Sun operated as an independent company last year, they reported a loss of US $2.2 billion. Q4 results announced by Oracle this week show Sun shine with US $400 million in operating income.
The positive trend started in the previous quarter (the first full quarter of Oracle ownership), when Oracle's revenue hit US $6.4 billion, including the 10% that can be attributed to one month of Sun revenue.
While Sun will see more reductions and cost-cutting activities, open source ECM is on the route to expansion. Nuxeo raised a bit of cash in the second round of series A funding. While US$ 3.3 (€2.7) million may not seem like a huge amount, it will bring some sunshine to Nuxeo's Galaxy -- partner program focused on building apps on top of Nuxeo EP Enterprise CMS and providing customer support and maintenance, and professional services.
Partner/system integrator ecosystem and delivery of services to those implementing Nuxeo's DM, DAM or ECM products are the main streams of revenue for the open source vendor.
- Oracle Profits Jump 25% In Q4, Sun Is Seen As Key. The Sun deal is being cited as one of the principal reasons why the software giant has seen its profits grow by 25% in the fourth quarter.
- Open Source ECM Nuxeo Gets US$ 3.3 Funding Influx. OTC Asset Management is giving Nuxeo more money, in addition to the initial US$ 2.6 million in Series A funding back in December 2008.
- JBoss Enterprise Portal Adapts eXo WCM, Collaboration Modules. Along with picking up eXo's Web content management capabilities, RedHat has also announced that it will include the eXo Modules for Collaboration, Social and Knowledge as add-on options to the Site Publisher.
- EMC SourceOne Addresses Unstructured Content With New Products. EMC is adding two new members: SourceOne File Intelligence and File Systems. Both products are focused on addressing unstructured content.
- Compliance, Analytics - Key Ingredients in FatWire + EMC Deal. FatWire is looking to EMC to solve a number of the compliance issues that their larger, enterprise-level customers are facing.
- TYPO3 4.4 Offers Easy Installation, A New Starter Website. There is a number of improvements listed in this latest release of the TYPO3 open source Web CMS.
- Autonomy WorkSite 8.5: When Should Your Firm Upgrade? Part 1. Don’t let the measly .5 trick you. This upgrade will require a significant investment in time and monetary resources.
Most Popular Articles
These articles were what you fancied most this week, according to Uncle G's analytics data.
- Google Upgrades Gmail App For iPad. Based on feedback from iPad Gmail users, the only drawback so far is that it is only available to US English users.
- Mobile Enterprise: Apple's iOS4 is Watching You. Twitter is abuzz about news that Apple is tracking and sharing users’ location data.
- What is SharePoint 2010? Vision and Reality. Most of our readers have a pretty clear idea of what SharePoint is. However, many people misperceive its core functions. Here's a concise response to the simple question: What is SharePoint?
- Goodbye Corporate Website – Hello Web Presence Management Framework? Julie Hunt has a two-part series investigating how such Management Framework could look like and the future role of WCM/WEM platforms, where WCM/WEM may be the hub or one of the components.
- iPhone 4 Adds Video Chat, Ability to Run Multiple Apps To Entice Enterprise Use. Apple's latest iPhone 4.0 release offers more to get it into the enterprise users' hands including multitasking and video conferencing. But is that good enough?
- Using Social CRM to Engage With Your Customers. Not everyone agrees that Social CRM is something new and separate from traditional CRM.
- Overview: SharePoint 2010 Metadata and Taxonomy Management. It would appear that SharePoint 2010 includes many new features under the umbrella of Enterprise Metadata Management.
Content Management Jobs
Here's what's been brewing lately in the CMS jobs and careers field. Both seekers and employers, catch the best fish of the season on our content management job board.
- Web Content Manager at ProImage
- Web Designer at TMG
- Business Analyst, AdSense Policy at Google
- Software Engineer at Thumbtack
- Director of Marketing at UserVoice
Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference, or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- Jun 29, 2010 – Live Panel Discussion: How to Optimize Your Online Strategy (London)
- Oct 7, 2010 -- HartmanEVENT 2010 - Social Media & Mobile Usability