One big topic this week that you couldn't avoid hearing and/or talking about was the launch of Microsoft Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010. #CMSGeekUps around the world turned this opportunity into drinking games. Many Enterprise CMS vendors -- including KnowledgeLake, EMC, Open Text and others -- quickly announced their support for everyone's darling.
In the meantime, Open Text has shown some signs of struggle on the licensing revenue front, despite the many acquisitions the Waterloo ECM giant has made. Support revenue is high, but licensing revenue dropped -- could be just one of the indicators about the direction and vision of this vendor.
At the CMSWire headquarters, we continued to discuss web engagement management concepts and technologies. Want to chat WEM? The opportunity is there, as next week we will see you at what promises to be a rather informationally nutritious event -- Gilbane Conference San Francisco.
- Microsoft Launches Office 2010, SharePoint 2010 For Business Users. Microsoft says the launch of the 2010 products is about business productivity and improving ways in which enterprises deal with the growing volume of information business processes produce.
- Open Text Q3 F10 License Revenue Drops Despite Acquisitions. While Open Text continues its “quilting exercise,” we again think that more balanced precision in direction is needed in its acquisition strategy.
- The 5 Pillars of Web Engagement Management. Each Web Engagement Management pillar can include a number of tools and technologies. In some cases these either come as an integral part of a web content management system or are tightly integrated with it.
- SAP Buys Sybase For US$5.8bn, Adds Mobile Platform. In a move that is likely to cause Oracle some discomfort, SAP has announced that it has agreed to acquire Sybase for US$ 5.8 billion.
- IBM Analyzes Social Network Sentiment With SPSS Modeler Upgrade. The upgrade represents a considerable advance in the SPSS Modeler data mining and text analytics solution with abilities that stretch as far as detecting the context of the words used.
- WEM Perspectives: Geeks Are Essential to Your Engagement Strategy. There's no two ways about it: Your technical team needs to participate in your marketing plans from the get-go. That is, if you want your Web Engagement Management (WEM) strategy to be successful.
- New Joomla! Project Leadership Brings Increased Transparency, Involvement. The Joomla! project has been through some tough times over the years but recent shifts to the leadership team are ushering-in a host of positive changes for the project.
Most Popular Articles
These articles were what you fancied most this week, according to Uncle G's analytics data.
- 5 Cool Things in SharePoint 2010 That You May Not Know About. One of them is that Microsoft has married the ease of Visio with the complexities of SharePoint workflows. Check out the rest.
- Top 5 CMS Executives - 35 Years Old and Younger. They are young, wicked smart beyond their age and extraordinarily accomplished. They are on our top 5 most talented C-level executives in the CMS world.
- 5 Ways Social Networking Has Improved in SharePoint 2010. How will SharePoint 2010 get with the times when it comes to social networking?
- #emcworld: The New Face of Documentum. This is not just a simple re-branding. The new name reflects where EMC is now with their product suites and where they plan to go.
- SharePoint 2010 Review: The New 6 Pillars of SharePoint. SharePoint, 2007 and 2010, is a popular topic among analysts, content management vendors and organizations. The improvements to SharePoint 2010 are going to make those discussions that much more interesting.
- Free Tools for Usability Testing. Let's take a look at some of the free tools available and what they offer.
- What is Web Engagement Management (WEM)? Some say WEM's the latest WCM marketing ploy. Some have never heard the phrase. We think Web Engagement Management (WEM) is an important change in the way people build and utilize web content management systems.
Our Polls and Your Votes
Check out our recent poll results and commentary from industry experts:
- Poll Results: SharePoint 2010 Implementations Focused on Collaboration
- Poll Results: Web Analytics Need More Love
- Poll Results: Usability is Top DAM Challenge
Content Management Jobs
Here's what's been brewing lately in the CMS jobs and careers field. Both seekers and employers, catch the best fish of the season on our content management job board.
- Senior Percussion Rhythmyx Developer at Clovis Group
- Web Editor at Eden Project
- Senior Data Analyst at FTI Consulting
- UI Developer at Accordent
- Senior Project Manager at EMC Corporation
Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference, or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- May 20, 2010 -- Henry Stewart - DAM NY 2010
- May 27, 2010 – Advanced Intranet and Portals Forum 2010
- May 31, 2010 – ExpressionEngine CodeIgniter Conference - San Francisco
- Oct 7, 2010 -- HartmanEVENT 2010 - Social Media & Mobile Usability