...I just know I need strength to fight
Strength to fight that world outside...
(Soundtrack for this weekly round-up: Bob Dylan - Life Is Hard)
This week we saw some nearly-seismic activity in the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) sector. Microsoft seems to be under the impression that the upcoming release of Dynamics CRM 2011 will raise the bar in the CRM market, continuing to challenge Salesforce.com's popularity.
Given the recent legal dueling and countersuing between the two over multiple patent violations, it looks like Microsoft is after adding some commercial insult to legal injury.
Sans fireworks or swinging swords, SugarCRM version 6 went GA, introducing a new user interface, accompanied by a set of new tools for sales and reporting, and information control.
While SugarCRM revolves in a tad different CRM universe, the company is certainly using the occasion to turn itself into a realistic alternative to these two bruisers, especially for the SMBs.
- Will the Upcoming Dynamics CRM 2011 Beta Challenge Salesforce? The new release due for public beta in September looks set to challenge Salesforce.com's dominance in this space.
- Sugar CRM v6.0 Goes GA, Targets MS Dynamics and Salesforce? Could it be that SugarCRM is using the occasion to build itself up and turn itself into a realistic alternative to these two bruisers, especially in the SMB market?
- CMS Review: Squarespace - SaaS Web Publishing, Blogging Platform. In the hyper-competitive market of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) web content management, vendors are desperate to stand out. Check out how Squarespace differentiates its offering.
- Autonomy WorkSite 8.5: When Should Your Firm Upgrade? Part 2. Moving from Autonomy Worksite 8.x to Worksite 8.5 is no small matter. With so many changes to this 8.5 release, you may wonder why it wasn't called 9.0.
- Ingeniux CMS 7: Solving In-Context Editing Challenges, Peeking at WEM. Ingeniux CMS v6 dates back to 2008 with focus on Enterprise 2.0 web content management. What does Ingeniux have to offer in the new v7 after two years in the making?
- Interview: Samantha Lofton and the Records Implications of Cloud Computing. Swiftly emerging in the Records field as one of the foremost experts in the relationship between information management programs and cloud storage solutions, Lofton speaks on one of her favorite topics.
- WEM: Innovation in Customer Experience. In a complex world, innovation shifts from creating and adding to simplifying and removing.
Most Popular Articles
These articles were what you fancied most this week, according to Uncle G's analytics data.
- SharePoint 2010, A Business Collaboration Platform. 100 million licenses and 4,000 partners later, Microsoft thinks they have a handle on this SharePoint phenomenon.
- TeamViewer iPad App Provides Remote Access to PCs. The newly released iPad app from TeamViewer gives businesses and private users the ability to control remote PCs from the iPad.
- Sitecore Web CMS 6.3 Cloud Ready, Including the Azure Cloud. Sitecore re-architected the core foundation of their web content management system to be cloud ready.
- The Scoop: SharePoint 2010 Records Management. Support for in-place RM within all libraries is a major plus if you are looking for SharePoint 2010 to be your solution.
- MindManager 9: Empowering the Knowledge Worker via Tight MS Office Integration. Mindjet announced the next major update to its flagship solution MindManager. And this is not your average mindmapping software.
- Google Pushes Semantic Web with Rich Snippets. Even if you haven't heard much about Google's rich snippet movement, you've probably seen it in action.
- Document Management Roll-up: Microsoft, Facebook Release Docs.com, SharePoint Gets Doc Capture. Microsoft has been receiving a lot of attention with the general release of Docs.com for Facebook, a new capture tool for SharePoint from Kofax and a better Office 2010 mobile experience from Aia.
Our Polls and Your Votes
The Intranet as we know it is a rapidly evolving creature, at least for some of us. Our latest poll looks at how your Intranet is being used (or if you even have one at all) and whether collaboration tools are present.
This poll will remain open until July 21. But don't wait until then, vote now and watch how the results unfold. So far, blogs and wikis seem to be winning the Intranet race:
Also, check out our previous polls:
Content Management Jobs
Here's what's been brewing lately in the CMS jobs and careers field. Both seekers and employers, catch the best fish of the season on our content management job board.
- Software Engineer at Squarespace
- Community Program Manager at Spigit
- Business Systems Analyst at Nike
- Marketing Associate at Okta
- Senior Marketing Writer at Eccolo Media
Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference, or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.