Welcome to the weekend! Signs of a good conference include mental exhaustion and people still talking about it even after it’s over. Check out our coverage of this week’s JBoye Philadelphia 2010, where the delegates discussed whether community is more important than the CMS, myths and truths about Microsoft and why web governance is a lot like sex. #jboye10 Twitter stream has many gems in it as well.
In the CMSWire headquarters, we were talking about web engagement management this week and will continue this conversation during the month of May as we explore WEM concepts and technologies.
- What is Web Engagement Management (WEM)? Some say WEM's the latest WCM marketing ploy. Some have never heard the phrase. We think Web Engagement Management (WEM) is an important change in the way people build and utilize web content management systems.
- WEM Perspectives: Have the Buzzword Magpies Stolen our "Engagement." If I say that a vendor's product helps you “engage with your audience”, do your toes curl up as if I’ve just claimed it was ‘Web 2.0 compliant’?
- Top 5 CMS Executives - 35 Years Old and Younger. They are young, wicked smart beyond their age and extraordinarily accomplished. They are on our top 5 most talented C-level executives in the CMS world.
- Oracle Takes Another Small Sun Integration Step. Even taking into account assertions by Oracle executives that the integration of the two would be a relatively speedy process, it is not going to be without difficulties
- Free Tools for Usability Testing. Let's take a look at some of the free tools available and what they offer.
- Document Management Roll-up: Are DMS replacing ECMs? IBM Beefs Up BPM Solutions. There has been anecdotal evidence over the past 12 months that in some instances document management software is replacing enterprise content management systems. New research seems to bear that out.
- What is GRC? Increasingly, it is an abbreviation used in the executive suite and boardroom. Unfortunately, there is no single, commonly accepted definition of GRC.
Most Popular Articles
These articles were what you fancied most this week, according to Uncle G's analytics data.
- HP Drops the Other Shoe, Says No to the Windows 7 Powered HP Slate. Well, that didn’t take long: Just days after its acquisition of Palm, Hewlett-Packard is reportedly set to drop the HP Slate, a handheld device that runs on Windows 7.
- Overview: SharePoint 2010 Metadata and Taxonomy Management. It would appear that SharePoint 2010 includes many new features under the umbrella of Enterprise Metadata Management, and they seem to have addressed some key issues.
- How Search Has Improved in SharePoint 2010. Building on a 'real world' scenario where SharePoint 2007 (MOSS) had been deployed for enterprise search in a pragmatic fashion using a phased approach, we now look at search and the new features that have been added to SharePoint 2010.
- MS Project 2010: Goodbye Portfolio Server, Hello SharePoint. Like that Ribbon UI in Office 2007? Well now you'll have it MS Project 2010.
- An Agile Enterprise CMS -- What's That? While it is likely that users of enterprise content management systems will have come across the term Agile ECM before, a great deal of confusion still exists as to what it actually means.
- How Are Native Mobile Apps Better? Help Me List the Ways… Apple CEO Steve Jobs and Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen have been publicly debating Apple’s decision to exclude Adobe Flash as a platform for developers.
- Usability: Navigation is More Important Than Search. Recently, we did some extensive task testing with a technical audience. 70 percent started the task by clicking on a link, 30 percent used search.
Our Polls and Your Votes
Check out our recent poll results and commentary from industry experts:
- Poll Results: SharePoint 2010 Implementations Focused on Collaboration
- Poll Results: Web Analytics Need More Love
- Poll Results: Usability is Top DAM Challenge
Content Management Jobs
Here's what's been brewing lately in the CMS jobs and careers field. Both seekers and employers, catch the best fish of the season on our content management job board.
- Financial Analyst, Content Acquisition at Google
- ERP Project Manager at NetSuite
- Director of Market Research at Corporate Executive Board
- Innovation Developer at Salesforce.com
- Inside Sales Representative at Ektron
Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference, or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- May 20, 2010 -- Gilbane Conference San Francisco
- May 20, 2010 -- Henry Stewart - DAM NY 2010
- Oct 7, 2010 -- HartmanEVENT 2010 - Social Media & Mobile Usability