The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- Drupal Reaches out to Media Publishers through WoodWing's Publishing Platform. Acquia is the commercial arm that offers products and support for the open source software web content management system Drupal.
- Free Abandonment Tracking Web Analytics Tool Launched. Here to prove that paying attention to the negative stats can be just as rewarding is a company called SeeWhy. Their new analytics tool, Abandonment Tracker, recently caught our eye.
- LMS Consolidation - Blackboard Acquires Angel Learning. Blackboard, a provider of Learning Management Suites (LMS) is to take over its (smaller) rival ANGEL Learning.
- Six Apart and WordPress, Together As One. While perhaps wearing their very best “if you can’t beat them, join them” face, Six Apart recently announced a handful of new services for WordPress users.
- New Partnership Pushes Readable XBRL Trend. Continuing to move and shake the world of XBRL are our friends at JustSystems, who after announcing their new XBRL Report a couple weeks ago are back again with a partnership to leverage data aggregation, content creation and publishing of financial reports using the business reporting language.
- Field Notes: EMC World 2009 in Summary. This year enterprise content management vendor EMC put their best foot forward in an effort to make Content Management and Archiving (CMA) attendees — otherwise known as Documentum users — feel like they were attending a conference that was addressing their needs.
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? SharePoint, SEO, Alfresco and EMC.
- New Google Tech Fuses SEO and Semantic Web. If you care about Search Engine Optimization (and who doesn't?) then it's time to wake up and smell the semantics. Otherwise, your search results will plummet as SEO gold goes to those who take advantage of Google's new tool: the Rich Snippet.
- SharePoint vs Alfresco: A Platform Perspective. Is it worth it to look at a side-by-side view of SharePoint and Alfresco from a platform perspective? Is it possible that one is significantly better than the other? Maybe, but the answer you get may not be the one you expected.
- EMC Releases Free Documentum Developer Edition Enterprise CMS. What’s better than free? We sure can’t come up with anything, which is at least one reason the new EMC Documentum Developer Edition will likely earn a few double takes.
- Great Designs Should Be Experienced and Not Seen. When things are going well in a design, we don't pay attention to them. We only pay attention to things that bother us.
- Microsoft to Rename Groove as SharePoint Workspace. Is Microsoft loosing its Groove? No, but they are changing the name of it. Microsoft Groove 2007 -- the collaboration and document sharing software for small teams working online and offline -- is getting a new name. The new name? Why it will become Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010.
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our on our content management job board.
- Technical Architect at Acquia
- Senior Systems Engineer at Digital Reef
- Senior Web Application Engineer at Novell, Inc
- UI Engineer at MarketTools, Inc.
- Content Analyst at Vasont Systems
Whether Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our new Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.