The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- Autonomy Leads Search and Discovery Market According to IDC. A recent IDC research report shows Autonomy is leading the search and discovery market in terms of both revenues and market share.
- Amazon EC2 Customer Hammered by DDOS Attack. Amazon may be one of the 200 lbs information gorillas in the cloud, but it's not immune to taking a good beating, as this unfortunate customer story shows.
- Alfresco Achieves DoD 5015.02 Records Management Certification. Alfresco has become the first open source product to demonstrate compliance with the DoD 5015.02 STD spec.
- Microsoft Creates FUSE Labs for Social Media Research. Reorganization strikes again! General Manager Lili Cheng is set to head the new FUSE Labs for Social Media Research at Microsoft, an apt title as the group will fuse members of the Creative Systems Group with the Rich Media and Startup Labs.
- e-Spirit CMS Gets More Serious About Content Re-use. e-Spirit, the makers of FirstSpirit CMS, released a new module called Database Pool that goes on top of the core content management platform.
- eXo Takes Its Enterprise CMS and CEO to the US. Another European company has announced that it is opening a US office. This time the location is San Francisco and the company is open source solution provider eXo.
- Yooba Adds Content Only Editor to Flash Web CMS. We've already expressed the growing interest around Flash-based content management systems this week, so let's get straight down to business with Yooba announcement about a cool little content editor for integration with existing CMS platforms.
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? Twitter, CMS, iPhone and Google.
- Crowd Fusion, a Web Publishing Platform for Topic based Websites. One of the newest web content management platforms to come our way is Crowd Fusion CMS. Although only in private beta testing at this time, it is getting some notice.
- Top 5 Best Twitter Tools for Business. Endless analysts, "social media experts" and pundits are telling you that it's imperative that you develop your Twitter presence. Yes, yes, yes… As for the tools, here are what we consider the top 5 twitter tools worth some of your precious time.
- Google Goes After SharePoint with New Sites API. With the introduction of Google's new Sites API -- and some tools that explicitly pull stuff out of SharePoint and place it into Google Sites -- the real heat between Redmond and Mountain View is finally starting to build.
- Ektron Snaps Up Former Interwoven CMS Evangelist. With the M&A activity in the content management space not dwindling down despite the economic crisis, it’s only natural to see the content management industry talent hop around. At times, that happens in a fashion resembling the game called “A Cold Wind Blows.”
- Social Media Minute: Employers Ban Social Media, Twitter Finally Gets Revenue Deals. According to a study from Robert Half Technology, a little more than half of U.S. workplaces are banning their employees from viewing and interacting with social networking sites.
- Jive Wants to Socialize Your SharePoint Enterprise Content. Jive Software has a new strategy designed to extend SBS across an organization's content silos. The plan? Take enterprise content stored in your Enterprise CMS and socialize it within SBS.
- The Great Flash for the iPhone Fake Out. Yes, Flash has been brought to the iPhone. No, you can't view Flash-based Web content on the iPhone. Kind of a rough deal, right?
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our on our content management job board.
- .NET Software Developer at Bridgeline
- Content Management Software Documentation Writer at pTools
- Content Management Application Developer (Reddot) at Quotient
- Inside Sales Representative at Flypaper
- Software Developer at Unicon
- Web CMS Admin at UC Davis
- Software Sales Engineer at Westbrook Technologies
Whether Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- Day Ignite Zurich 2009 -- Oct 14-Oct 15 (Zurich, CH)
- Open Text Content World 2009 -- Oct 25-30 (Orlando,FL)
- Day Ignite Chicago 2009 -- Oct 27-Oct 29 (Chicago, IL)
- How to Drive an Effective Governance Retention and Compliance Strategy -- webinar, Oct 29, 2009
- J. Boye Aarhus 2009 -- Nov 3-Nov 5 (Aarhus, Denmark)
- Sharepoint Symposium 2009 -- Nov 20 (San Jose, CA
- WordCamp NYC 2009 -- November 14-15 (New York, NY)