The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- Oracle Unveils WebCenter Suite, a Social Computing Business Solution. Oracle WebCenter Suite 11g is described by the company as a modern enterprise portal platform, and aims to bring together people in organizations with the business processes and information they require.
- Alfresco Lays Groundwork for DoD 5015.2 Certification with Alfresco Community 3.2. Alfresco has been talking about their ability to support to the complete CMIS specification in the next version of their ECM for a little while now, but that's not all that has arrived with Alfresco 3.2.
- How to KISS When Your Web Copy Isn’t Short and Simple. Most of us are aware of the golden rule for plain writing on the Web: Keep It Short and Simple (KISS). But there’s no getting around it—at some point you are likely to have a long piece of complex material that you have to put up on your website.
- Meet Yahoo! Search Pad, Your New Note Taker. Tired of using archaic Notepad? Google Squared too complicated or time consuming? Try Yahoo! Search Pad.
- Latest Eclipse Release Makes Open Source CMS Life Easier. Every year in the last week of June, the overall Eclipse IDE community coordinates itself for a mass release. This year, the annual release is dubbed Eclipse Galileo.
- CMS Made Simple Goes Through a Major Rework in 1.6. Only one week behind schedule, but with a slew of changes, CMS Made Simple v1.6 has recently seen the light of day.
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? SDL Tridion, CMIS and open source CMS.
- A Free SharePoint Item Level Restore Tool From AvePoint. Long known for their SharePoint administration and management solutions, AvePoint has decided to offer a little piece of their software for free.
- Movable Type (MTOS) Forks, Hello Open Melody. A group of ex-Six Apart staff and other MT enthusiasts have taken matters -- and the code -- into their own hands. Say hello to Open Melody. Let's have a look.
- Update: CMS Interoperability Project (CMIS) Making Solid Progress. With a public review of the Content Management Interoperability Specification (CMIS) expected to be announced sometime soon, it's definitely time to check in and see what the various player have been up to.
- Understanding SharePoint: It's the Ecosystem, Dummy. This is the second edition of CMS Watch's SharePoint report and likely not the last. When something is so widely used and both loved and hated, you will always find something new to inform enterprises about.
- The Social Media Minute (8-July-2009). Social media moves so fast, it's hard to keep up. Here are the week's top stories.
- Open Text Continues Quilting Exercise With Latest Web CMS Release. The Open Text Web Solutions group, formerly known as RedDot Web Content Management (WCM), has just put out a new and significant release of their mid-range Web CMS product. Yes, Vignette (when the acquisition is finalized) will take place alongside Web Solutions version 10 in this WCM quilt.
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our on our content management job board.
- Manager, Online Publishing at Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Manager, Web Experience at United Way Metropolian Chicago
- Digital Strategist at Ketchum
- Software Engineer - Knowledge Management at Amazon
- Visual Designer at Lime Wire
Whether Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our new Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.