The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- How to Use, Not Abuse a Web CMS Features Matrix. The web content management feature matrix can be a useful tool, if you use it wisely. Here's how.
- Google Analytics Leaps Forward with 7 Great Features. Big G recently tacked on more enterprise goodies to Google Analytics. The seven new additions boost existing capabilities as well as introduce new customization flexibility.
- BlogEngine.NET, An Open Source Blogging Platform. For those who want to go their own way in the blogosphere and ignore the big guns of WordPress, Blogger.com, Movable Type or any number of other options, we take a look at BlogEngine.NET.
- #LeWeb Twitter Showers Developers with Real Time Love, Announces New Conference. Ryan Sarver, Twitter's Director of Platform made a series of four announcements, including the unveiling of Chirp.
- #diwd09 Do It With Drupal: Pragmatic Site Building. When it comes to why Drupal is popular, the discussion in many ways revolved around why open source was popular.
- Social Media Minute: Twitter Opens Up, Watch What You Say on Facebook. Social media moves so fast, it's hard to keep up. Here are the week's top stories.
- Magnolia CMS 4.2: Content Modeling, Standards, Integrations. Open source Magnolia CMS 4.2 brings hierarchical data modeling, simpler integrations with external data sources, updated STK and a new node-builder extending the JSR-170 standard.
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? Drupal, ECM and SharePoint.
- Drupal vs Joomla: Which CMS is Best? Anyone trying to evaluate open source content management systems is aware that there aren't a lot of recent, useful comparative reviews.
- Installing SharePoint 2010 on Windows 7. One of the best kept secrets from Microsoft regarding SharePoint 2010 was something that SharePoint developers around the world were for crying for: the ability to run SharePoint on a desktop environment and not a VM.
- #GilbaneBoston: The Rise of Open Source in Content Management. One of the hot topics at the Gilbane Boston conference this year is open source.
- SharePoint vs Alfresco: A Platform Perspective. When we posited that Alfresco Share was after SharePoint Services' marketshare, it sparked a bit of chatter -- some positive, some not so much.
- Google Go, A New Programming Language After Microsoft's Dev Community? Early last month Google tossed its latest creation into the shark pool: A new programming language called Go.
- Using Emotional Experience Design to Engage Customers on Your Website. Ron Rogowski and his team of researchers at Forrester Research, look at what they call emotional experience design and how it affects the way it can create online experiences that “deeply engage customers” in a new report called Emotional Experience Design,
- Collaboration, Search and Compliance Key Areas for ECM Investment in 2010. There's no sign of enterprise content management investment decreasing in the coming year. At least not according to new Forrester research.
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our on our content management job board.
- .NET CMS Documentation Writer at pTools
- Account Executive at SpringCM
- Sitefinity CMS Presales Engineer at Telerik
- Open Source Java Developer at Atlassian
- Web Application Developer at Systems Alliance
- Drupal Developer at Think!Shout
- Principal User Experience Developer at eBay
Whether Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- Empower 2010 Laserfiche Institute Conference -- Jan 11-13 (Los Angeles, Ca)
- ATIA 2010 Orlando -- Jan 28-30 (Orlando, FL)
- Bay Area TYPO3 Users Group -- Feb 4 (San Francisco, CA)
- Intelligent Content 2010 -- Feb 18-19 (Palm Springs, CA)
- Virtual Edge Summit 2010 -- Feb 22-23 (Santa Clara, CA)
- CMS Expo 2010 (Evanston) -- May 3-5 (Evanston, IL)