The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- The Lowdown: Drupal 7 Means Big Changes. For site builders, the big changes begin with dependencies. Drupal 7 requires PHP 5.2 and either MySQL 5.0 or PostgreSQL 8.3. For databases, you now also have the option of SQLite.
- Enterprise CMS Leaders and Visionaries Identified in Latest Magic Quadrant Report. Due to a highly volatile marketplace, Gartner specifically advises that you avoid comparing vendor placement in prior years, but it's still exciting to see who made the cut in the Enterprise CMS Magic Quadrant this time around.
- Steve Ballmer: How SharePoint is Like the PC. Probably one of the most interesting interviews you could have is with Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, on the topic of SharePoint. Oh to be a fly on the wall in that interview room — a fly that could also ask questions, mind you.
- Overview: SharePoint 2010 Metadata and Taxonomy Management. It would appear that SharePoint 2010 includes many new features under the umbrella of Enterprise Metadata Management, and they seem to have addressed some key issues. Here are the highlights.
- Sitecore and Telligent Integrate for Better Online Engagement. Web CMS vendor (and the latest J. Boye Web Idol winner) Sitecore integrated its content management system with Telligent Community -- a platform for social content, interactive communities, collaboration and social analytics.
- Hannon Hill 6.4 Features Connectors for Twitter, WordPress. Hannon Hill goes all social with its latest update for Cascade Server CMS, offering access to Twitter and WordPress with more to follow.
- Plone, Drupal Win Packt Open Source CMS Awards, More Coming. It's that time again -- Packt is announcing the winners of its Open Source CMS Awards.
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? Drupal v. Joomla, Web Content Management and SharePoint.
- #spc09 The Future of SharePoint Project Management. The changes coming with SharePoint 2010 combined with the advancement of desktop tools like Microsoft Project are ushering in a new era of SharePoint project management.
- Drupal vs Joomla: Which CMS is Best? Anyone trying to evaluate open source content management systems is aware that there aren't a lot of recent, useful comparative reviews. What's surprising is that this issue is true even for such popular solutions as Drupal and Joomla.
- Microsoft's Not So Secret New Open Source CMS. Microsoft has a secret, although it's not completely secret. They are getting ready to offer a new open source content management application code named Orchard.
- The Scoop: SharePoint 2010 Records Management. The session began with a brief description of what records management is and what constitutes a record. Wikipedia defines records management as “the practice of maintaining the records of an organization from the time they are created up to their eventual disposal.
- SharePoint 2010, A Business Collaboration Platform. Microsoft gives us a bird's eye view into what SharePoint 2010 is really going to look and behave like. Time to take a little tour.
- Gartner Calls Drupal a Visionary in Social Software Magic Quadrant. Reportedly thanks to Acquia and the Drupal team's endless efforts to maintain healthy relationships with analysts, Dries Buytaert's CMS baby was added to the 'Visionaries' section of Gartner's Magic Quadrant last month.
- #e2conf Andrew McAfee's Top Enterprise 2.0 No-No's. McAfee explained that while he used to see potential customers approach enterprise tools with skepticism, he's recently noticed a significant shift in attitude.
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our on our content management job board.
- Interactive Media Faculty at Quinnipiac University
- Marketing Programs Manager at Jive Software
- Technical Project Engineer at Zylab
- Web Developer at Hannon Hill
- Web Architect at Synacor
- Marketing Manager - Demand Generation at Clearwell Systems
- Director of Engineering-Technical Lead at GigaOm
Whether Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- Legal IT Asia 2009 -- Nov 18-19 (Beijing, China)
- Technology Transfer -- Nov 25-26 (Rome, Italy)
- Gilbane Boston -- Dec 1-3 (Boston)
- Online Information 2009 -- Dec 13 (London)
- Intelligent Content 2010 -- Feb 18-19 (Palm Springs, CA)
- Virtual Edge Summit 2010 -- Feb 22-23 (Santa Clara)
- CMS Expo 2010 (Evanston) -- May 3-5 (Evanston, IL)