The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- Report in Depth: Most Popular Open Source CMS 2009. The authors of the 2009 Open Source CMS Market Share Report made efforts this year to refine the selected CMS's over last year's choices -- both in terms of including a broader range of programming languages and ensuring that those projects chosen are similar enough that they can be compared apples to apples.
- Google Follows Bing After Coveted Twitter Data. For months, both Google and Microsoft have been vying for Twitter’s affection in an attempt to gain access to today’s Holy Grail of real-time information.
- Open Source CMS Market: Lights Beyond LAMP. The web content management space is not homogeneous. And while the recently released Open Source CMS Market Share Report clearly highlighted the ongoing dominance of LAMP-based content management systems -- these systems are not the only game in town.
- #spc09 ECM for the Masses: How SharePoint 2010 Delivers On The Promise. Enterprise Content Management (ECM) has been a buzzword floating in the enterprise. Yet its promise of integrating proven methods and tools to capture, manage and deliver relevant information to an organization has yet to be realized.
- Social Media Minute: Gen Y's Most Wanted List, SharePoint 2010's Affection for The Social. When asked by a research firm what activities Generation Y would least enjoy giving up for a period of one week, the results were surprising.
- EMC Integrates Documentum and SharePoint, Offers eDiscovery. At the SharePoint Conference 2009, EMC swung out of the gate first with four SharePoint offerings, one of which is not really new, but interesting just the same.
- #ARMA09: Implementing a CMS, Are We on the Same Page? When you have so many different departments involved in setting system requirements, how easy is it to make sure everyone comes out with the same understanding of what the system should actually do?
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? Drupal v. Joomla, Open Source CMS,and Sharepoint!
- Drupal vs Joomla: Which CMS is Best?. Anyone trying to evaluate open source content management systems is aware that there aren't a lot of recent, useful comparative reviews. What's surprising is that this issue is true even for such popular solutions as Drupal and Joomla!
- Report: The Most Popular Open Source CMS, and Then Some. It's really not about which CMS is best, nor about relative comparisons beyond brand strength, sentiment and adoption patterns. We're aware of this.
- Is Google PageRank No Longer Important?. Do you constantly watch the Google toolbar in your browser to see if your Google PageRank has changed? Do you worry constantly about why your rank is less than that of a competitor? Well, there may not be any reason to worry any longer.
- Can Google Wave Change the Future of Content Management?. What if you could all edit a document at the same time like you can in Google Docs and similar tools? That, in some ways, is the promise of Google Wave.
- It's Official: Alfresco First FOSS CMS to be DoD 5015.2 Certified. Alfresco has achieved DoD 5015.2 certification -- the first open source Enterprise CMS to do so.
- Results: Most Popular CMS in Technorati's Top 100. In the end we had ourselves a nifty little list consisting of website name and the blogging technology or Web CMS platform said site ran on.
- #spc09 SharePoint 2010 Breaks Down Silos Between Enterprise and the Web. Microsoft is expecting big things for SharePoint 2010 -- not just for the enterprise but also for the web.
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our on our content management job board.
- Proposal Writer at Perceptive Software
- Labeling Editor at Lionbridge Technologies
- Technical Writer at FatWire
- Account Executive (Publishing) at Mark Logic
- Senior Enterprise Sales Executive at Quark
- Database Expert / Analytics Engineer at Scribd
- Senior Rails Developer(s) at Scribd
Whether Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- Webinar: How to Drive an Effective Governance Retention and Compliance Strategy -- Oct 29 (Online)
- Ektron Synergy 2009 -- Nov 1-4 (Orlanda, FL)
- Enterprise 2.0 San Francisco 2009 -- Nov 2-5 (San Francisco)
- J. Boye Aarhus 2009 -- Nov 3-Nov 5 (Aarhus, Denmark)
- Technology Transfer -- Nov 25-26 (Rome, Italy)
- Online Information 2009 -- Dec 13 (London)
- Intelligent Content 2010 -- Feb 18-19 (Palm Springs, CA)