The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- 4 Reasons Your Organization Should Embrace Social Media. Regardless of what executives or collective management think, social networks are already shaping how business is done.
- Open Text Releases 2010 Product Roadmap Details. Among the highlights — we know ya'll are curious — are rebranding changes to Vignette and Web Solutions (formerly RedDot).
- Ektron Releases Version 8 of CMS400.NET, Unapologetic About Innovation. The long-awaited and rather-delayed release of Ektron CMS400.NET version 8 was prematurely leaked a little while ago, but now it’s all official.
- Social Media Minute: Users Don't Trust The Cloud, Facebook Draws Ire With Redesign. When it comes to their personal and confidential data, Americans don't trust cloud-based storage, citing security concerns amongst their fears.
- Solr 1.4 Offers Richer Document Indexing, Faster Search. Any day now (if not already), the newest version of Apache's Solr project hits the streets. A year in the making since the previous release, the Java-based, open source enterprise search server Solr 1.4 offers some exciting feature and performance improvements.
- Department of Defense (DoD) Memo Highlights Strategic Advantages of Open Source. It looks like the U.S. Department of Defense might have noticed — or at least has decided to catch up with other government organizations around the globe — as they make it easier for their staff to make use of open source. A recently released memo has been cause for some FOSS community jubilation.
- Autonomy Releases Arcpliance, IDOL-Based Digital Archiving Appliance. The company says that with the new Arcpliance, businesses will be able to archive all data types without the need for significant hardware, software, and IT personnel resources.
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? Drupal v. Joomla, Open Source CMS and Sharepoint.
- #spc09 The Future of SharePoint Project Management. One of the immediate values SharePoint can deliver to an organization is the ability to address project management challenges, such as inefficient communication among stakeholders, poor information management practices and undefined project collaboration standards that compromises project success.
- Drupal vs Joomla: Which CMS is Best? Anyone trying to evaluate open source content management systems is aware that there aren't a lot of recent, useful comparative reviews. What's surprising is that this issue is true even for such popular solutions as Drupal and Joomla.
- SharePoint 2010, A Business Collaboration Platform. Now Microsoft gives us a bird's eye view into what SharePoint 2010 is really going to look and behave like. Time to take a little tour.
- Report in Depth: Most Popular Open Source CMS 2009. We announced the release of the second annual 2009 Open Source CMS Market Share Report. The project was a collaboration with water & stone, an APAC-based interactive agency.
- Alert: What's Coming for Open Source CMS in November 2009. Welcome to the November 2009 installment of our what's coming from the open source CMS projects in the next 30 days.
- WISDOM for SharePoint - Is it Top Shelf Document Management? WISDOM hails from Australian-based MacroView who have entered into partnership with Nashville-based SharePoint Solutions (news, site), who in turn will be responsible for distributing and integrating MacroView's WISDOM line in the U.S.
- Open Source CMS Market: Lights Beyond LAMP. And while the recently released Open Source CMS Market Share Report clearly highlighted the ongoing dominance of LAMP-based content management systems — these systems are not the only game in town.
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our on our content management job board.
- Editorial Assistant at Mashable
- Digital Publicist at Discovery Channel
- Senior Account Executive at Open Text
- Java Application Support Engineer at dotCMS
- Technical Architect & Integration Specialist at Sitecore
- UI Developer at Jive Software
- UI Designer at HuffingtonPost
Whether Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- Business Productivity with SharePoint 2007, 2010 & Beyond - London -- Nov 6
- Intranet Portal Award Brazil 2009 -- Nov 12-13 (São Paulo, Brazil, South America)
- WordCamp New York City -- Nov 14-15
- Technology Transfer -- Nov 25-26 (Rome, Italy)
- Gilbane Boston -- Dec 1 -3
- Online Information 2009 -- Dec 13 (London)
- Intelligent Content 2010 -- Feb 18-19 (Palm Springs, CA)