The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- An Archiving, eDiscovery and Compliance Solution Starting with Email. What's rising to the top of needs pile is IT efficiency — such as storage and backup costs.
- IBM vs. Microsoft: Dukes Are Up Over Cloud Computing In their most recent tiff, IBM plays the schoolyard bully while Microsoft attempts to save face with a cool yet scathing blog response. The fire starter? Oh, just what's being called the most destructive force in technology.
- Alfresco 3.1 Solidifies Enterprise CMS Readiness. Exclusively available to enterprise customers, this version has a number of stability improvements designed to support the most complex enterprises.
- EMC to Offer Content-Enabled Solutions to Work Effectively, Faster. Along with some revealing research conducted by the Economist Intelligence Unit, sponsored by EMC, on the impact and importance of organizational agility, EMC is also announcing some new solutions designed to help customers work smarter.
- Movable Type Goes Faux SaaS. Six Apart in partnership with Etelos Inc. enables their Movable Type blogging platform to be available in a “cloud-hosted” environment.
- Best Practices For Your Web Strategy. At a time when the web has become such an integral part of any business plan, the web strategy process still seems to be lacking in focus.
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? SharePoint, social media and CMSs.
- State of the Project Report: Joomla! Web CMS. Born from a project fork of the Mambo CMS, and with strong early ambitions, Joomla! has struggled at times with its place in the open source landscape, and with the ideas of what is best for both the project and the community.
- CMS Selection - Death to the Features Matrix. It's not surprising that simple looking decision making tools suddenly become attractive.
- Day Software's CQ 5.2: Weaving in DAM and Social Collaboration. While marrying web content management with social media, web 2.0 and DAM is hardly revolutionary — nowadays, it’s more about execution than the idea itself.
- Managing Social Media With Vignette Community Apps 7.1. This social media solution targets organizations looking to engage with internet audiences and spice up their online presences with communities, social interaction and collaborative communication.
- RDFa, Drupal and a Practical Semantic Web. With RDFa software and web developers have the specification they need to know how to structure data in order to lend meaning both to machines and to humans, all in a single file.
- Great websites work beautifully. Humans are dominated by visuals. But the Web reflects a movement away from this visual dominance.
- SharePoint Designer 2007 Free to Download. There's been a little buzz in recent weeks about the possibility that SharePoint Designer 2007 — Microsoft's reincarnation of FrontPage — would become a free product.
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our content management job board.
- Content Manager at PPT Consulting
- Content Manager at My Damn Channel
- Electronic Discovery Specialist at Stratify
- Web Developer at Aardvark