The twists, turns and tips you need for staying up-to-date by the water cooler.
Highlights of the Week
- Choosing a CMS: Plone and Its Competition.Martin Aspeli of the Plone project recently sat down and evaluated a "whole slew" of web content management systems.
- Movable Type 5 Released, Adds Versioning, Better Management. The new version is being called “a great milestone in the 8 years of Movable Type history” by its team, and MT users are more than happy to welcome some long-awaited features.
- Gartner Acquires Burton Group, Provides Research to IT Professionals. December was a busy month for industry research giant Gartner. They started the month announcing the acquisition of AMR Research and they ended the month with the acquisition of the Burton Group.
- TERMINALFOUR Picks up €1.6m in Funding For R&D and Expansion. Irish WCM company TERMINALFOUR bags additional funding with new hires and expansion on the horizon.
- Dedication to Open Source and Open Standards Threatened in Leaked EU EIF Document. As the European Union works toward better integration to help countries work together more easily, one step along the way has been the development of the European Interoperability Framework, or EIF.
- Ektron Closes 2009 With 38% in Web CMS Sales Growth. Ektron released some of its 2009 financials and announced sales growth of over 38%. That’s about the only number released by the privately-held Web CMS vendor, so now onto the end-of-year highlights, of course.
- EMC Acquires Archer, Adds GRC Software to RSA Division. January kicks off officially for EMC with the acquisition of Archer Technologies, further demonstrating the enterprise content management vendors support for integrated governance, risk and compliance software.
Most Popular Articles
And these are the articles you couldn't get enough of during the past week -- if page views are anything to go by, anyways. So, what was your fancy? Drupal, ECM and SharePoint.
- Alert: What's Coming In Open Source CMS In 2010. Rather than blindly putting out an update for January, we thought we'd look farther ahead into what everyone wants to accomplish throughout next year. Call it our open source 2010 predictions with less guesswork and high hopes.
- Drupal vs Joomla: Which CMS is Best? Anyone trying to evaluate open source content management systems is aware that there aren't a lot of recent, useful comparative reviews.
- #diwd Moving The Economist to the Drupal Web CMS. It shouldn't come as a surprise that the idea of a free, open source CMS holds a great deal of appeal. However, in the case of The Economist, it didn't start out this way.
- Emerging Trends in Web Content Management There are emerging trends shaping web content management and the vendors that provide it. Here's a look at what's on our radar.
- Installing SharePoint 2010 on Windows 7. One of the best kept secrets from Microsoft regarding SharePoint 2010 was something that SharePoint developers around the world were for crying for: the ability to run SharePoint on a desktop environment and not a VM.
- Gartner Provides Advice on the eDiscovery Vendor Landscape. Gartner estimates that revenue in worldwide enterprise eDiscovery software was US$ 808 million in 2008, with an annual growth rate from here on in of 21% to 2013.
- FatWire Offers Website Optimization Capabilities via Integrated Google Analytics. FatWire’s first move of 2010? Analytics, baby.
The Economy is in the Dumps but Content Management is Booming
If you're looking to advance your career, or if your org has got empty seats in need of savvy CMSers, you're in luck. Catch the best fish of the season on our on our content management job board.
- Technical Writer at ZL Technologies
- Content Writers Wanted at Suite101
- Project Manager at TERMINALFOUR
- Marketing Programs Manager at Jive Software
- Rails/PHP Hacker at TechCrunch
- Perl Developer at BuzzFeed
- Webmaster/Graphic Designer at The Cleantech Group
Whether Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.
- Bay Area TYPO3 Users Group -- Feb 4 (San Francisco, CA)
- Pink Elephant IT Service Mgmt. Conference & Exhibition Las Vegas 2010 -- Feb 17-21 (Las Vegas, NV)
- Nuxeo World Paris 2010 -- March 11-12 (Paris)
- AIIM International Expo 2010 -- April 20-22 (Philadelphia, PA)
- CMS Expo 2010 (Evanston) -- May 3-5 (Evanston, IL)
- ECM World 2010 -- May 9-13 (Boston, MA)