Acquia is only three years old and focuses almost exclusively on open source platform Drupal, which makes its earning a spot on Forbes list of 100 most promising companies in 2011 a pretty impressive feat. Despite the company’s showing, Acquia is not yet a well-recognized name in enterprise circles. The appointment of two new board members may just change that.
The New Guys
Acquia announced today the appointment of two new members to its Board of Directors — Thomas Bogan and Paul Sallaberry. Although the names may not ring a bell, they are well seasoned veterans of the technology industry. Bogan is the Chair of Citrix’s board, and has held executive level positions at organizations known for their process acumen like Rational Software and IBM. Sallaberry is no newbie either. He has held senior level positions at Open Vision, Oracle and Veritas (acquired by Symantec), and is now known mostly for his role as a venture capitalist.
Bogan and Sallaberry round out Acquia’s board, which already includes:
- Thomas Erickson, CEO Acquia
- Dries Buytaert, CTO and Co-Founder, Acquia and Drupal creator
- Michael Skok, General Partner, North Bridge Venture Partners
- John Mandile, Managing Director, Sigma Partners
- Brian Paul, Managing Director, Tenya Capital
What This Means
Acquia’s bread and butter is Drupal, which is used widely by organizations of all sizes. Drupal’s popularity is undeniable. It tops almost every “best of” list for open source software, but adoption by large enterprises continues to lag due to the platform's somewhat anemic enterprise class supportability features. Acquia is positioning itself to close that gap and become the “go to” option for companies that want to implement Drupal, but need a little (or a lot) of hand holding. The addition of Bogan and Sallaberry further demonstrates that commitment. The technology veterans understand and can drive the sales, operations, governance and strategic discipline that will be required for Acquia to dominate the enterprise Drupal market.
- Forrester: Move Faster on App Development
- World Cup Website Hacked: Is Yours Vulnerable, Too?
- A Man, a Blouse and an Awesome Customer Experience
- Reinventing Digital Asset Management
- Microsoft Strikes Google by Slashing Office 365 Prices #WPC14
- Thank You, Apple-IBM? Why Mega Deal is Good for Microsoft
- Can You Name the Top 10 IoT Companies?