CrownPeak (news, site) announced its integration with the [updated] new Website Optimizer Experiment Management API (based on Google Website Optimizer) [/updated], claiming to be the first content management vendor to do so as one of three “inaugural partners.” This integration is "a new API program that will provide users with an integrated solution for Web content management." Sounds a tad confusing, doesn't it?
Truth be told, quite a few other CMS providers — including the direct SaaS competitors like Clickability, Ingeniux, Marqui and others — have already dabbled with Google Optimizer integration. But let’s take a look at what CrownPeak had done and how it might be different from the others.
Editor's Note: Leave it to Google to provide some clarity ;) According to the big G, this is a "new Website Optimizer Experiment Management API… [that] allows for the creation and management of experiments outside of the Website Optimizer interface." So, pretty much everything we talk about below in regards to tapping into the existing API, less coding steps and a more native within the CMS integration still seems to be valid.
How Google Website Optimizer Works
Once you have that in place, you can start testing and optimizing your website, including content and layout. That plus a whole bag of other marketing tricks like A/B and multi-variate (MV) testing, reports to drive conversions, experimenting for free, etc.
See our article How To: Getting Started with Google's Website Optimizer for more details.
CrownPeak's Google Website Optimizer Integration
CrownPeak CMS allows users to tap into the powers of Google Website Optimizer API and publish marketing content from the CMS into Google Website Optimizer (GWO) for testing.
GWO Optimization Experiment in CrownPeak
What Do CrownPeak Users Get?
It’s nice to have an integrated one point of entry for your marketing adventures as long as you don’t have to pay extra for what Google offers for virtually zero investment. If you’re an existing CrownPeak customer, you might enjoy:
- Single interface to manage your content from CrownPeak and use GWO to test various experiments.
- Increased conversion rates is something that no one can guarantee, but that’s the idea behind the offering. According to CorwnPeak, “Website testing has been shown to be one of the most effective ways to increase conversion rates.”
- One-click publishing to decrease the margin of error for marketers, when they don’t do any CTR+C and CTR+V but leverage the data that is automatically published into GWO.
- Integration with Google Analytics for more detailed reporting functionality. Once the data is captured in CrownPeak, users can choose to automatically promote a static version of the "champion" page for best SEO results. Do note though, that this is where the single sign-on/interface deal ends, as you have to log in to the GWO to see your reports and analytics for your tests. According to CrownPeak, they’re working on on bringing this data back into the CMS in the next phase. Until then, alas, no workflow on content.
Checking the Reports from Google Analytics
Yet Another GWO Integration?
And what has CrownPeak done differently with GWO? Not much, really. The good thing is that the content repository remains centralized with all CrownPeak CMS versions stored in a marketers’ account history. This will allow users to roll back to previous versions, or even re-run experiments.
Workflow support is not a bad thing either, when you need to make sure that all content and tests are approved before they go live.
- Has Google Delivered a Killer Blow to Microsoft Office Apps?
- Should You Use LinkedIn to Build a Network or an Audience?
- A Graceful Exit for Box?
- 5 Marketing Lessons From HubSpot
- Microsoft Leaves Ballmer Bleeding as It Moves On
- Marketing Automation: 3 Trends to Watch
- Dave Gray on Work Like a Network and the Role of Hierarchies