A new version of open source Java content management system (CMS), OpenWGA (news, site) has been released. Version 5.4 includes a number of new improvements that make the CMS easier to use such as retaining formatting during copy and paste operations, a number of new modules, new ways to customize applications built on the platform and hundreds of break fixes.
Introducing Loads of New Content Management Features
OpenWGA fully integrated its content module concept, a kind of page fragment or gadget which was introduced in version 5.3, into the 5.4 release.
OpenWGA Content Modules
The release includes eight new modules that provide features such weather forecasts from Google, surveys and custom forms. In addition, many of the existing content modules were enhanced. A complete list of modules available for the CMS is available on the OpenWGA site.
The open source content management system also includes a number of other enhancements:
- Improved inheritance of modules from page templates: Changes to templates now update all pages created from it.
- Advanced copy and paste support: Paste operations analyze the formatting in rich text and retain relevant formatting like bold, italic, etc that can be represented in web content.
- Added a “cleanup” button to the editing toolbar that removes special characters and formatting problems from existing rich text contents with a single click.
- Faster customization of access rights with reader access rights inheritance
- Simplified customization of OpenWGA applications
- Support for subfolders in file container directories
In addition, the release includes several small bugs fixes and feature enhancements. Additional details regarding the new features in the release are in the OpenWGA issue tracking system.
Easier Plugin Installation
OpenWGA 5.4 makes it much easier for administrators to locate and install plugins. The release features a new plugin store directly integrated into the admin client. The new features determines the list of installed plugins, lists what plugins can be updated and which new plugins are available. Updating or installing a plugin is now a one-click operation; users just click “Update” or “Install” and OpenWGA takes care of the rest.