The Poynter Institute is a school for journalists, future journalists and teachers of journalism. They offer seminars geared towards print and online reporters, photojournalists, designers , educators and are dedicated to providing students with the necessary tools and ideas to handle the challenges of producing news, whether online or in print.
With seminars addressing issues of ethics & diversity, journalism education & training, leadership & management, online & multimedia, reporting, writing & editing, tv & radio, as well as visual journalism, students are bound to find many engaging classes from which to choose. Classes are available at their campus in St. Petersburg, Florida or through their e-learning site, News University.
Upcoming seminars of note include: Advanced Multimedia Reporting With Video August 17 - 21
Register by July 7
Expand your basic video skills and knowledge to assemble a complete packaged story for online or television. Students will learn:
* Writing and storytelling methods
* Advanced editing techniques
* How to light subjects using a lighting kit
* To recognize and resolve the ethical issues unique to video storytelling Reporting & Writing for the Ethnic Media October 20 – 24
Register by September 8
Build your reporting and storytelling skills so you can more completely tell the story of your community. Students will learn to:
* Develop your skills in interviewing, reporting, writing, photojournalism and ethical decision-making
* Use a range of story forms to tell stronger stories
* Find untold stories, the stories others miss
* Explore the value of collaborative reporting partnerships From Column to Blog: Tuning Your Voice December 1 – 5
Register by October 20
Focus on persuasive writing as it expresses itself in old and new writing forms online, from a re-imagination of the news column to the many different looks of the news blog. Students will learn:
* How to write with a distinctive voice online
* How to invite and take advantage of interaction with readers
* To re-imagine the news column for news Web sites
* How to blend the very best of old-school and new-school thinking
* The important differences between the cultures of the newspaper and the news Web site
Seminars are taught by the Institute's faculty, which includes skilled journalists with real-world experience in areas of multimedia, journalism education, visual journalism, and reporting and writing for print, broadcast and online.
You can learn more about the courses that the Poynter Institute has to offer, including tours of the Institute, faculty biographies, and application guidelines.
CMSWire is a leading, native digital publication produced by Simpler Media Group, Inc. We provide articles, research and events for sophisticated professionals driving digital customer experience strategy, evolving the digital workplace and creating intelligent information management practices. The CMSWire team produces 450+ authoritative articles per quarter for our 750,000 community members. Join us as a subscriber.