A new version of the Visual Studio 2008 extensions for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, v1.3 has recently been released as a CTP (community technology preview). What's new in this release that will make SharePoint developers happy?
The Visual Studio 2008 Extensions for SharePoint can be used for both Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) and SharePoint 2007.
New in Version 1.3
There are a number of new capabilities within this 1.3 version of the extensions including the following:
- Support for 64 bit operating systems
- New Visual Studio menu options for packaging, deploying and retracting
- WSP View improvements including deleting feature elements, merging features and adding event receivers to features
- Refactoring support for renaming web parts
- Solution generator can now also generate solutions for publishing websites
- New Deployment options including a fast deploy, the removal of a conflicting existing feature and deployment step logging
New SharePoint Themes
Another new release to help developers build SharePoint solutions or features quicker is the Ten Themes for SharePoint. This is a set of 10 VS2008 extensions that are designed themes for SharePoint. To uses these themes you need WSS and the VS2008 Extensions 1.3.
The ability to now develop SharePoint solutions on the 64-bit platform is a key feature as it has been made clear that the next version of SharePoint will only support 64-bit platforms.
In addition the new Features capabilities and deployment options will help develop package up their solutions quicker and deploy them more easily to SharePoint.
Download the latest version of the Visual Studio Extensions for SharePoint now.