IBM and Microsoft will be forever entwined if Mainsoft (news, site) has anything to do with it. The provider of Java EE-Microsoft SharePoint integration software is constantly coming out with new ways to integrate SharePoint functionality with IBM solutions.
This time, they integrate SharePoint's social networking capabilities with IBM's Rational Team Concert.
Earlier this year, they launched Mainsoft Document Collaboration for Rational Jazz software providing collaboration capabilities for project teams directly in Rational Jazz using either SharePoint or Lotus Quickr.
This release is an upgrade to that initial one and now includes integration of SharePoint's social networking capabilities, including:
- Access to SharePoint "My Sites” from the team artifacts view
- Integration of SharePoint Profiles with Rational Jazz Profiles
- Access to SharePoint People Search from the IDE's Search menu
- Access to SharePoint team wikis and blogs from within the IDE
Social Networking Features in the Eclipse IDE
The integration of SharePoint capabilities with Rational Jazz tells us two things:
- SharePoint as a platform makes it easy for third-party providers to come in and develop custom solutions that extend the reach of SharePoint.
- It is clear that SharePoint is widely used for team collaboration and this is a prime example of how development teams can work closely with business teams to deliver quality solutions.
Want to know more about this solution? If you are at the Rational Software Conference, Bernie Coyne, marketing manager, Rational Team Concert and Yaacov Cohen, CEO of Mainsoft, will preview the 2.0 release during session CRM26, “Driving Business Value Using IBM Rational Team Concert with Microsoft SharePoint and Lotus Quickr.” on Wednesday, June 3rd from 10:00 - 11:00 am in the Southern Hemisphere II.
Otherwise, be patient, general availability for Mainsoft Document Collaboration for Rational Jazz 2.0 is expected in Q4 of this year.