In the mornin' fog,
the evening breeze,
the cool, cool night...
(Soundtrack for this weekly review: John Lee Hooker, Frisco Blues)
Greetings from San Francisco, where there's barely any content management rush (or any rush, for that matter), but the fog, the breeze and the air filled with the freedom-loving spirit of start-ups. Lean agility is something that the big ECM kahunas could learn from start-ups.
Is that an agile move to buy something that creates an even bigger overlap in the already simmering soup of information governance technologies? Yes, I am talking about Autonomy's decision to buy CA Records Manager and CA Message Manager that transpired earlier this week.
The importance of GRC in this day and age is quite clear. What is not clear is why Autonomy would want to "IDOL-ize" this records management and archiving bundle if they already have products for that job (including from previous acquisitions like Interwoven)? "IDOL-ization" is like a rite of passage that most companies acquired by Autonomy go through after they're integrated with the Intelligent Data Operating Layer (IDOL) platform.
In other news, Oracle released the long-awaited ECM 11g. The biggest sales pitch? Unified content repository and "extreme" scalability. But not everyone is wooed. Some are wondering whether Oracle knows that "WCM & ECM are actually different things." Even some industry analysts are finding it difficult to decipher the actual capabilities and intentions of this monster truck of ECM.
Most Popular Articles
These articles were what you fancied most this week, according to Uncle G's analytics data.
- Web Design: Top 5 Wireframing Tools. As more wireframe tools become available, the focus is shifting to include IA. Here is a selection of wireframes that are sure to prove useful
- What is SharePoint 2010? Vision and Reality. Most of our readers have a pretty clear idea of what SharePoint is. However, many people misperceive its core functions. Here's a concise response to the simple question: What is SharePoint?
- Google Caffeine is Search on Steroids, Bing Should Take Notes. Google switched over to a new search indexing system this week. Aptly named Caffeine, the architecture is said to be faster than previous technology, and provides 50% fresher results.
- SharePoint 2010: Experts Dish on the Good and Not So Good. Like a dish detergent spun through the rebranding cycle, SharePoint 2010 is all new and improved.
- Cisco Quad is on the Way, Google and Microsoft Beware. If choosing between Google and Microsoft gives you too much anxiety, but you still need an enterprise-level collaboration platform, Cisco might have an answer.
- WordPress 3.0 Nears, Aims to Woo the Enterprise. WordPress is now readying the highly anticipated version 3.0. Enterprise clients are in their sites. Let's take a look at just how.
Our Polls and Your Votes
Check out our recent poll results and commentary from industry experts:
Content Management Jobs
Here's what's been brewing lately in the CMS jobs and careers field. Both seekers and employers, catch the best fish of the season on our content management job board.
Traveling or Virtual, There are Events to Attend
Wondering how to spend your time in the next few weeks or months? Attend a conference, or maybe just a webinar or two. Have a look at our Industry Events Calendar to see what's happening in your area.